Meyers Manx II UK-00-002

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
manxdavid

Meyers Manx II UK-00-002

Post by manxdavid »

People are probably sick and tired of seeing bits and pieces of photos of my Buggy but stuff it, here are some more and a few words to go with them... The body was one of the first of the run of official authorised Meyers Manxes to be sold by Mel Hubbard. It is moulded in tangerine gel-coat and was picked up in November 1999. The car was built over the 1999 Christmas holiday on a floorpan I had shortened previously while Mel was getting the project up and running. I built it left hand drive as I was attempting to build as authentic Manx as possible (I live in England where right hand drive is the norm.). This was the reasoning behing the use of as many authentic parts as I could along with period correct wheels/ tyres etc. It's not that I'm against more modern styles of buggy, it's just that this is mine and I tend to think that 1960s designs deserve 1960s trimmings, the same way I wouldn't dream of 'modernising' something like a Frog Eye Sprite or a classic Corvette. I did all the work on the car myself, including the chassis welding, the wiring, engine work etc. I've tried to keep it as simple and uncluttered as possible as I tend to think of its concept as being closer to an old MG or Morgan sportscar that to a modern car with computerised everything. I haven't got bogged down with hyper-detailing stuff as it's built to drive rather than show so expect to see underseal grease and chassis wax underneath rather than powder coat and chrome. Spec: Body- Meyers Manx II, tangerine gel coat. Chassis- Originally 1959, rebuilt with ball-joint front and NOS floorpans. LHD with 1300 gearbox c/w short rear axle shafts, Type 3 wide five rear brakes and 1967 Beetle wide five front brakes. Engine- Basically stock 1600 twin port with twin 34 Dellorto carbs and Bosch Screamer ignition. Latest Rage deep sump, filter oil-pump and pushrod guards, Scat rocker covers and pushrod tubes. Manx Sidewinder exhaust, Jet-Coated in silver. Interior- Glass bucket seats with slip-on covers, matching rear seat. Grant GT steering wheel, Scat Dragfast shifter, Meyers Manx polished stainless roll bar. Lights- Chrome plated Beetle rear lights, Karmann Ghia (?) front indicators, 7" headlights, chrome EMPI no. plate light. Wheels & Tyres- Appliance Dishmag wheels, 8 1/2x15 rears and 7x14 fronts, fitted with Kelly Supercharger tyres, 275/60x15 rear and 235/60x14 front, fitted via Cal Custom cast aluminium wheel adapters. Image Image Image Image
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid;13689"]People are probably sick and tired of seeing bits and pieces of photos of my Buggy but stuff it, here are some more and a few words to go with them...[/QUOTE] I don't think anyone on this site gets tired of seeing pictures of nice, clean buggies. Post more!
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

David, I sure don't get tired of seeing nicley done buggy and yours is very nice. I'm old school myself and I'm sure Bruce would be proud of your work. Bob
Gary1719

More

Post by Gary1719 »

Heck No! Who doesn't like to look at Buggies!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Your buggy is what everyone dreams of having. It's a good Model to copy from for my project car.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Dave, thats the best its ever looked in my eyes,,,, but then deep down I always did think that side pods were a bit ''Carlos Fandango'' TBH with ya!!!
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Thanx for all the kind words...not bad considering most of the mechanicals were what i had lying around at the time or were scavenged out of other people's scrap bins...I honestly can't remember where the chassis came from...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
Carltons

Post by Carltons »

Nice job! I like the rims. Real Classy Carlton
Bosduuvel

Post by Bosduuvel »

Great pics! I've seen many pictures of your beautiful Manx but now for the first time I see your steering wheel is on the left. Very special for the U.K.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="Bosduuvel;13744"]Great pics! I've seen many pictures of your beautiful Manx but now for the first time I see your steering wheel is on the left. Very special for the U.K.[/QUOTE] I just tried to do it as Bruce intended...
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Dave, I have always admired your Manx as one that stayed close to a period-correct example. I've strived for that in mine also, while including some additional safety items. A couple of questions: what is the little black "thing" on your hood (bonnet) between the filler and the windshield (windscreen)? Where did you get that Hurst emblem? Do you have a close up picture of that? I think it is very cool (I have a Hurst shifter in my Manx also). Now you just need to pack that buggy up in your luggage for your next trip to Wilmington, NC and do a little crusing with Gary and me :-) Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Hey Bud The mystery black lump is a twin windshield washer jet, needed over here by law. The Hurst badge was from Pep Boys or O'Reilleys I think but you can get them on eBay, I did have a Hurst shifter at the time but it was a bit long so swapped it for a Scat. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HURST-EQ ... ccessories Image Fry some Hush Puppies up, I'll be back some day. I'll be on the Gulf again at the end of the month; Mobile, Bay Minette, Perdido, Pensacola Beach etc. but won't make it up your way I'm afraid. I'm flying the flag though as I've got a 'CB' sticker on my daily driver... Image
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Dave, Thanks for the lead on the Hurst badge. I might have to get me one :-) Sorry we'll miss you (again) but I'm glad we are with you in spirit. I'll bet you get some strange questions about the "CB" sticker. Enjoy your trip. Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing