Chances my clutch was asbestos?

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
73SpeedBuggy

Chances my clutch was asbestos?

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

I'm in the middle of my first engine rebuild and I was following Muir's guide. I noticed some discrepancies with the clutch so I pulled out my Hayne's manual and then I see that the clutch may have been made of asbestos. When I pulled the pressure plate off (before reading that) there was dust all over. Now I'm wondering if I've been exposed to asbestos! Great! The clutch wasn't in that bad of shape, so I'm wondering if it's been changed before and what the odds are that it was still asbestos.
fubar

Post by fubar »

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Everythings bad for you now days,,,,, a few years back we had ''Mad Cow Disease'' here in UK and was advised NOT to eat Beef :eek: Well, I kept on eating the stuff and there sure as hell aint nothing wrong with MOOOOoooooooooo :D I reckon your live,, just stop worrying & wash it down with a few cold beers,,, maybe wear a safty mask next time if your not sure :hello: Im supprised asbestos its still used with all of todays rules & regs,,,,,, just renewed the pads & shoes on my wifes sedan, not sure what the new pads & shoes were made from,,, anyone know todays substitute for asbestos?
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard"] Im supprised asbestos its still used with all of todays rules & regs,,,,,, just renewed the pads & shoes on my wifes sedan, not sure what the new pads & shoes were made from,,, anyone know todays substitute for asbestos?[/QUOTE] I doubt they are actually. My concern is, I have no idea what the history of this vehicle is. That could be a clutch old enough to still be asbestos.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard"]Everythings bad for you now days,,,,, a few years back we had ''Mad Cow Disease'' here in UK and was advised NOT to eat Beef :eek: Well, I kept on eating the stuff and there sure as hell aint nothing wrong with MOOOOoooooooooo :D I reckon your live,, just stop worrying & wash it down with a few cold beers,,, maybe wear a safty mask next time if your not sure :hello: Im supprised asbestos its still used with all of todays rules & regs,,,,,, just renewed the pads & shoes on my wifes sedan, not sure what the new pads & shoes were made from,,, anyone know todays substitute for asbestos?[/QUOTE] I'm not sure what the replacement is for asbestos. I'll bet you in a few years we find out how bad it is for you?
Lee

Post by Lee »

Brake / clutch dust is ALL bad for you! Still, I wouldn't worry about it, just use the same precautions as you would for the brakes. The best thing to do is clean everything with brake parts cleaner. The worst thing would be to hit it with the air hose. Pop quiz: Your tires and brakes wear down over time. Anyone want to guess where all that dust ends up? Hint - see all that black stuff in your daily driver's paper air cleaner?
90volts

Post by 90volts »

if you're worried about working on it more, dampen in so the dust doesn't fly everywhere and get it done. its the dust particles that get into your lungs and cause the problems. but you need an awful lot of the stuff over a long period before you need to be concerned. it's the accumulation that gets you, just like lead.
Vealmonkey

Post by Vealmonkey »

Look, I hate to seem like Mr. Negative here, but anybody who grew up anywhere where there were cars, trucks and buses has been exposed to asbestos. Big cities were probably the worst. All the traffic at every corner and stoplight. Cars, buses, trucks, trolleys all starting and stopping and shifting gears and downshifting to come to stops. Most people don't realize all the asbestos they have been exposed to. Old large buildings, asbestos. Almost on every pipe and beam. Old floor tiles, asbestos. Old roofing shingles, asbestos. And the worlds largest exporter of asbestos, Canada. At least it was at one time. Just cause we don't use it here, doesn't mean it isn't still being mined and sent all over the world. Another place asbestos was common, rock quarries. Especially where gravel is mined. If you look at alot of gravel closely, you can see small veins of different types of asbestos. You got a gravel driveway, you have a good chance of having some asbestos. Asbestos is a natural mineral and comes from the ground. It is quite common. Pretty much everyone at one time or another has been or is being exposed to asbestos. Sorry, but just the facts. Maybe it's more common here on the east coast than out on the west, can't tell you that, but you would be surprised all the places asbestos turns up.
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

[QUOTE="Vealmonkey"]Look, I hate to seem like Mr. Negative here, but anybody who grew up anywhere where there were cars, trucks and buses has been exposed to asbestos. Big cities were probably the worst. All the traffic at every corner and stoplight. Cars, buses, trucks, trolleys all starting and stopping and shifting gears and downshifting to come to stops. Most people don't realize all the asbestos they have been exposed to. Old large buildings, asbestos. Almost on every pipe and beam. Old floor tiles, asbestos. Old roofing shingles, asbestos. And the worlds largest exporter of asbestos, Canada. At least it was at one time. Just cause we don't use it here, doesn't mean it isn't still being mined and sent all over the world. Another place asbestos was common, rock quarries. Especially where gravel is mined. If you look at alot of gravel closely, you can see small veins of different types of asbestos. You got a gravel driveway, you have a good chance of having some asbestos. Asbestos is a natural mineral and comes from the ground. It is quite common. Pretty much everyone at one time or another has been or is being exposed to asbestos. Sorry, but just the facts. Maybe it's more common here on the east coast than out on the west, can't tell you that, but you would be surprised all the places asbestos turns up.[/QUOTE] Actually that makes me feel better. Of course, I still think my chest hurts, but I"m a bit of a hypocondriac.
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Exposure to asbestos is kind of like smoking cigarettes. A short term smoking habit probably won't hurt you. A long term smoking habit can kill you. Solution: Don't smoke asbestos.
Ed
Lee

Post by Lee »

There are several old homes here in Tustin (So Cal.) that still have asbestos siding. You should see the look on the homeowners' faces when you tell them about it! The stuff really IS everywhere, but it's usually harmless unless you disturb it. I sometimes help some friends work on their vintage home (1928) in Hawaii. The original wiring was knob and tube, with you-guessed-it - asbestos!
fubar

Post by fubar »

My house was covered in it. I wet it down on demo and poured concrete over it. When it is not air born it is not a threat. the next guy can deal with it I guess, if he or she chips up the slab.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Vealmonkey wrote:Look, I hate to seem like Mr. Negative here, but anybody who grew up anywhere where there were cars, trucks and buses has been exposed to asbestos. Big cities were probably the worst. All the traffic at every corner and stoplight. Cars, buses, trucks, trolleys all starting and stopping and shifting gears and downshifting to come to stops. Most people don't realize all the asbestos they have been exposed to. Old large buildings, asbestos. Almost on every pipe and beam. Old floor tiles, asbestos. Old roofing shingles, asbestos. And the worlds largest exporter of asbestos, Canada. At least it was at one time. Just cause we don't use it here, doesn't mean it isn't still being mined and sent all over the world. Another place asbestos was common, rock quarries. Especially where gravel is mined. If you look at alot of gravel closely, you can see small veins of different types of asbestos. You got a gravel driveway, you have a good chance of having some asbestos. Asbestos is a natural mineral and comes from the ground. It is quite common. Pretty much everyone at one time or another has been or is being exposed to asbestos. Sorry, but just the facts. Maybe it's more common here on the east coast than out on the west, can't tell you that, but you would be surprised all the places asbestos turns up.

Good information Pat. Funny thing thats always stuck in my mind was a line from a Dirty Harry movie >> Eastwood said to some guy ''Your nothing but a piece of dog s**t,,,, and have you ever wondered what happens to dog s**t??,, WELL HAVE YA PUNK?? ,,,,,,, it drys up & blows away in the wind :eek: Well THANKS Clint!! I had never quite thought of it that way before BUT, information like that could put people off having a picnic in the park. that was not part of the movie script, just my thoughts BTW. Seems it aint JUST asbestos dust blowing in the wind :crazy: