Very Early Meyers Manx with Transvair (Cheap)

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
CairoManx

Very Early Meyers Manx with Transvair (Cheap)

Post by CairoManx »

If I didn't already have 5 Manx'es and a Tow'd, I'd already be on the road to grab this one. Its the very early type(65-66) that was made just after the monocoques. It still has its foil backed hood emblem sticker and original metal flake blue gel-coat. It also has the ultra rare early windshield frame, like I've only ever seen on Bill's (OldManx) green Manx. The Hadley Transvair adapter with 110hp Corvair engine is also very cool. Its supposedly been for sale since May. Let us know if anbody in the Manx Club gets it. http://www.listeduntilsold.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15689 Image Image
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

The rear photo of the Manx above answers a question Old Towd asked in a thread a while back. "Why is there more clearance between the engine and the Transvair subframe on the passenger's side than on the driver's side?". The answer is apparent in the picture. On a Transvair, the muffler was located within the subframe between the engine and the frame. http://www.meyersmanx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3998&highlight=transvair
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

If it wasn't for that damn pond I'd be on a road trip. Dave, how cool would that be in UK?. Wish I could see the back end without those wheels,,, looks like it could be the same rear end molding as Jasons (unclejtl) Manx :cool:
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

You can see by how far the rear skirt comes toward the center without a raised lip, that it has to have one of the little square raised areas over the carb. Those type also had a narrower sill across the top of the back seat. It has an Arizona plate, but the numbers listed are from Atlanta???
Rick Leddon

Post by Rick Leddon »

I will call in the morning, about the Manx, but it has been listed since May 2006. Should be long gone.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I saw May but I didn't notice 2006. It would be amazing if it was still there. The name of the website is "Listed Until Sold", but 15 months is pretty hard to believe. It would still be nice to know who got it and whether they realize how rare it is(or was) in its existing condition. It would be a shame if somebody decided to paint flames on it and chop the windshield, etc. Is that round sticker on the windshield a Mexican insurance sticker? It looks to me like somebody used to use it down in Baja.
Rick Leddon

Post by Rick Leddon »

Well, I found where the Manx was and bought it. I paid for it and will go get it later in the week. I'll let you guys know about it. Thanks Rick
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Way to go Rick! That has to be somewhere between the tenth and twentieth oldest Manx I know of. As far as a rare unrestored original, it has to be in the top 10. Buy me a beer sometime. Is it in Arizona or Atlanta? What's its history? Was the ad really 15 months old? Did you get a better price?(It was a steal already) I think it has old Gabriel Hi-Jacker air shocks in the back to adjust the rear end height. Make sure you ask if they have any original paperwork with it like a factory invoice, assembly instructions, Transvair instructions, etc. Maybe its just me, but I think I'd lose the tire rack off the back and the extra muffler after the muffler. Nelson Sparks
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="CairoManx"] Maybe its just me, but I think I'd lose the tire rack off the back and the extra muffler after the muffler. Nelson Sparks[/QUOTE] Nelson, its not just you,, I think that wheel rack looks a right monstrosity :crazy: The strip of metal on top looks like it would make a nice tail-gate for my Veep :D Rick, you plan a full resto job,, or quick fix up & use as is??,,, there is something about the charm of an original with all its past war wounds that I like :cool:
CairoManx

Meyers Manx #50

Post by CairoManx »

I got an email today from Tim, the young guy selling the early Manx. He said he was going to sell it to Rick, but then he saw the thread on our webpage and figured he'd undervalued it, so he's changed his mind. He's decided to ebay it. I told him I'd help him set up an auction. He said he's located all the documents that came with it. He sent me a link to his picture gallery. The documents show it was made in 1965 and its Meyers Manx kit #50. There is a very cool personal letter from Bruce Meyers explaining how this is a "new" body type that uses a VW floorpan. Tim said the prior owner used the Manx for Uranium prospecting in Arizona. The ebay action should be up in a couple days. http://www.gatreasures.com/gallery/dune-buggy
90volts

Post by 90volts »

damn, someone was just upset with the low price someone paid for one and was reselling for a rather large profit. that's nothing compared to agreeing to a sale and then pulling it to ebay it cause he 'undervalued' it! and then to help the guy! i hope no one bids, cause thats downright ****ty. talk about bad karma! :roll:
subimanx

Post by subimanx »

That sorta stuff pisses me...if a sale has been made,then obviously a price that was agreed to by both parties involved was agreed apon in good faith and the sale should be binding.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Rick knows more about finding, negotiating for and buying Meyers Manxs than the rest of us put together. I doubt he was taken advantage of. I don't know the details of the transaction. I thought he'd bought it 2 weeks ago. If Rick paid money and hasn't gotten it back, I hope he lets me know so I can get dis-involved.
Rick Leddon

Post by Rick Leddon »

I didn't find out Tim had a problem with the deal we put together until I got notice that my paypal payment had been returned. I had paid for the buggy in full, made arrangements to take off work and had a rental trailer lined up. I was planning on picking the buggy up this weekend. When I found out Tim was not going to do the deal I called him. He told me he had been contacted by a Manx Club member to let him know he had a rare buggy and that he sold it to cheap. From the pictures and the information Tim had at the time I couldn't determine his buggy was one of the very early ones. The tire rack blocks the rear cutout and he didn't know if it was the small cut out or not. At that point he hadn't found the paperwork to determine how it was. The buggy has been sitting for years and has the old corvair engine and tranny, which I think will hurt the overall value. It is tough to buy a buggy from a couple of pictures and from someone who doesn't know much about the buggy. A friend of Tim's owned this buggy for years and gave it to Tim. He was just selling something he had been given. Tim and I discussed it and he said he was going to try to determine what a fair value is and will call me to see where we go from here. From our conversation he has no plans to put the buggy on ebay, but rather work with me to see if we can move forward and work something out. It's discourging that it has gotten to this, but what can you do. I hope Tim doesn't think I was taking advantage of him. Thanks for everyone's interest. Rick
L0084MC

Post by L0084MC »

"For the love of money is the root of all evil" If the deal was made and payment was accepted, Anyone with good moral character would have sucked it up, said to himself, Boy how stupid was I, And stood on his honor. He knew what he was doing was wrong or he would have called you BEFORE he returned payment. My farther told me one time "The dollar don't make a jerk out of a man. It was already there, It just brings it to the surface."