Steering column question

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
Don Giovanoni

Steering column question

Post by Don Giovanoni »

I had a disturbing occurance with my steering column coupler. I was turning the steering wheel and felt slippage. I checked the steering column to the connector with the rag joint and sure enough, it was slipping even though the bolt was tight. I tightened up the bolt some more and it was Ok for now but it has me spooked. Heaven forbid if the bolt broke while driving. Any one else have this problem?
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Don, Make sure you have the proper sized German bolts in the steering shaft clamps. With the proper bolts I don't think the splines can slip in the shaft as long as the bolt is in place, since it fit in a groove in the shaft.
joemama

Post by joemama »

As Jerry says, the bolt that goes thru the pinch clamp also fits in a groove on the steering box shaft, so ideally it should not rotate. Having said that,if someone shortened the steering column, a new groove would have to be made in the column for the bolt to go thru, and this would have to match the groove in the steering shaft, its possible that to make things fit a smaller diameter bolt could have been put in? Also, if its been loose for a while, its possible that things have worn out enough that things just dont do their job right. In any case, if you take the clamp off, I think the problem will become apparent.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

If you don't want to buy new parts, you can use a "roll pin" through the clamp & steering shaft. It is a small hollow pin that has a slice from end to end and springs out to fill the hole you put it in so it can't fall out. I have used them several times to take care of this kind of problem. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)