'69 Manx

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
Jon

'69 Manx

Post by Jon »

UP DATE Got the engine back from Aircooled Tech, 2270 cc, EFI. Got back all front end pieces, silver powder coated. exhaust system just left to get ceramic coated silver from Jet-Hot welding brackets for Gene Berg Mid-trans brace and the CSS Kafer torque bars to brace the horns from warping. (ol/o) Build up home page! http://users.adelphia.net./~jpboyton/
fubar

Post by fubar »

Very nice, power to weight should be simillar to a motorcycle. Are you sure the swing axle will hold up?
Jon

Swing Axle

Post by Jon »

Jake @ Aircooled Technology swears that he's "found that the stock swing axles are good to at least 180 HP, unless you are running slicks.." _________________
fubar

Post by fubar »

I think I would avoid paddle tires and turning brakes too..I had a swing axle in a Baja bug that was built by Mike Thorton (it had welded and x-rayed gears, and lower ring and pinion)that held up well to a 2000cc pinto I rebuilt. I sold the car to pay my property taxes back before I had my priorities straight... That was probably only putting out 120hp max. My friends run the efi and turbo 2300 engines and break the the 5 rib bus trans pretty easily. I broke the pinion bearing in my sand buggy (091 5 rib) backing up a slight hill. I try to be more carefull now.
Jon

More Photos

Post by Jon »

More photos of the rebuild
Jon

'69 update

Post by Jon »

got back my Type IV DTM EFI Aircooled Tech., 2270 cc. All front brake parts silver powder coated Rear is getting a Gene Berg Mid-Tranny Brace welded CSS Kafer rear brace brackets are being welded in to keep the frame horn from flexing.