Event Discussion Thread -- 2013 Sea to Sea Safari (C2C)

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

I hope you guys that are signed up are ready (or getting close...)  The people of the province of Quebec will be watching you!!!

My contact from Autoblog Quebec has just published a blog on the Sea to Sea Safari and MOTB. It's in French but here's the google translated version:

Crossing the United States in a Dune Buggy with a legend (Google translated)

Original French version:
La traversée des États-Unis en Dune Buggy avec une légende
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

Nice Vincent,
Good of hear from across the border. See you in a few weeks.

Bob
stubenj

Post by stubenj »

I am all set to go. No side curtains but we have rain gear. can we leave now.

73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

Apparently a package was sent out regarding the C2C.. it went to my old address.  Sounds like there's a C2C registration form in there..Can I get a copy of that emailed to me  instead?
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Adam,

You have an e-mail about C2C Safari information.  Bring it with you when you join up with C2C and give it to Scott Drolet.

Joe
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

Thanks Joe
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

Only nine days until LIFT OFF..... Is anyone running around like a chicken with it's head cut off like me ? It seems like there is always just one more thing to do or take. Anyway, a grand adventure is at hand and I'm really looking forward it.
See you all in 9 days,

Bob
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Well, I am leaving for the Sea to Sea ride tomorrow from CT. Unfortunately, I will not be driving the '68 Manx I have been doing a mechanical restoration on for the last 2 months. I tried to take it out for the 1st ride about 1 1/2 weeks ago, and there are major transaxle problems. I will be one of the support vehicles, still doing the whole trip. I also have a second problem, I am picking up a copilot in St. Louis, MO and we were planning on seeing some National Parks on the way out to San Diego, but the Government shutdown will make that impossible. I love it when a plan comes together!!!! Thanks for listening to my rant. Tom

Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Hey Bob, I absolutely agree about pulling it all together. I keep making lists of what still needs to be done and what I'll need to bring, and it is never ending!
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
http://www.ManxClub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SeaToSeaSafari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.BurroBuggies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

I had the Manxter back on the Outfront Motorsports dyno on Friday. I KNOW I heard the engine pinging under load going up hill. John at Outfront saw it differently: Turns out the sound I'm hearing is a loose internal exhaust baffle on the driver's side. He says the engine profile is perfect. 

Today, the buggy moved over to Jim's VW Service in Monterey Park, with Doug going through the wheel bearings, brakes and CV joints. I'll get it back tomorrow and it'll be "almost" ready to go. I still have a lot of little, and not so little, things I need to finish.

One thing that I messed up was the ordering of the rear redline tires for the new fifteen inch rim. I ordered tires that were 30.4" in diameter, and they are about 1/4" too big  because of the long torsion bars, which the tires hit! Fortunately, James at Diamondback tires in South Carolina pulled out all of the stops, making me a pair of smaller redline tires today (Instead of the usual two week processing time). I'll have my new tires by Friday, just in time to get them mounted and on the car.

Here's a sneak peak of what they look like:

First, the existing tires and rims are 17" front, and 20" rear:

This pic is a sneak preview of what the redlines will look like:

Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
http://www.ManxClub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SeaToSeaSafari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.BurroBuggies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

Tom,
Bummer, all that hard work ! ! Still glad your coming.

Scott,
What can I say. You make that Manxter better and better.....!

Bob
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

There are many alternatives to the National Parks or National Monuments (Though I believe that AZ is keeping the South Rim of the Grand Canyon open!). Look for State Parks that are still open, or even many privately owned attractions along your route (i.e. Grand Canyon Caverns in AZ, and the Fire & Ice Caves and Volcano in New Mexico are both privately owned and worth a tour). Now is the best time to get creative with your itinerary and go to unusual places that you hardly thought about before! You won't regret it!
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Yes I had some backups.  I have been to Hoover Dam, The Living Desert, Tram at Palm Springs, Dinosaurs at Cabazon & Newport Beach.  Tomrrow, I am gong to Cars & Coffe in Irvine, CA and best of all, Valley Center.  Still making the best of the trip.  Tom
Last edited by Tom-Kathleen on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

I spent some time this evening looking at the forecast for the C2C route.  It appears that Tropical Storm ”Karen” has stalled in the Gulf of Mexico, south of New Orleans.  When this happens there is a high chance of wet weather along the East Coast, from Florida up to the New York area.

October 09 - Wed - San Diego ----------- Partly Cloudy -- High 65  lo 58
October 10 - Thu -- Tucson --------------- Light Showers --High 78 Lo 52
October 11 - Fri --- Roswell, NM --------- Sunny ------------High 72  Lo 50
October 12 - Sat -- Oklahoma City -------Thunderstorms High 78  lo 57
October 13 - Sun -- North Little Rock – Thunderstorms  High 78  lo 62
October 14 - Mon - Nashville, TN -----– Sunny -------------High 75  lo 57
October 15 - Tue -- Winston-Salem, NC – Partly Cloudy  High 72  lo 53
October 16 - Wed - Nags Head, NC –--- Partly Cloudy ---High 67  lo 58

Looking at the weather maps I would expect to have rain & some wind from Oklahoma City all the way to Nags Head.  If you do not have rain suits, break out the large garbage bags.  They are not very pretty but they will keep your body dry and act as a wind break.  If you stay dry, then you will be able to stay warm.

Drive safe, & have fun.

See you all in OBX!!!