Event Discussion Thread -- 2013 Sea to Sea Safari (C2C)

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Done
Last edited by DIESELDOOG on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stubenj

Post by stubenj »

Just printed it. posted it on my wall at work. Please let let me know what i can do.
Stuart
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Thank you everyone who's been providing input.  This is crucial to making the run a success

I'm getting feedback that the total amount of time we'll be taking for this event may be too taxing for some of us working stiffs, and too expensive for some of us retired stiffs.  I completely understand both points of view because I'm worried about being away for too long as well. (It won't take that long for my employer to figure out they don't really need meImage)

So, in the spirit of trying to reduce some costs, I'm proposing we leave Thursday, October 10th, and arrive in Kill Devil Hills on Wednesday, October 16th, 2013. We'll arrive as the main events are just coming into full swing at MOTB, enjoying all the festivities from Wednesday afternoon through Sunday morning. 

Also, If we change the departure date, I would also suggest we move the takeoff spot from Newport Beach to Mission Bay in San Diego, CA. Leaving on a workday morning will present us with unbearable traffic in the OC and could easily add two hours to our drive. If we head out from Mission Bay, we can jump on the 8 and drive straight to Tucson without any of that congestion.

Please let me know your thoughts!
Last edited by Scott-Drolet on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
http://www.ManxClub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SeaToSeaSafari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.BurroBuggies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

As a retired stiff, I vote to leave it the way it was, but I will go along with however it turns out.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Retired & working stiffs version:

Last edited by vincent9993 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

Well, as just another stiff. Those dates work for me. But arriving on the 16th and getting settled down will probably take most of the day. That leaves just 3 days, are those the most important ones ???

Bob
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

towd dude wrote:Well, as just another stiff. Those dates work for me. But arriving on the 16th and getting settled down will probably take most of the day. That leaves just 3 days, are those the most important ones ???

Bob
Hey Bob, any days that we will have the honor to have you with us will be the most important ones!

Based on last year, there were daily discovery runs during the week but the bulk of the event started on Friday.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

Nicely said Vince. Looking forward to the trip.

Bob
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Hi Bob!

Last year, the California contingency arrived on Thursday night. As Vincent pointed out, the heavy attendance arrives from Friday on, with full days of activities planned for Friday and Saturday.  The days before then have demonstrations and half day cruises to various points. I know Joe Spittler is a huge advocate on kicking back and enjoying the full week there, that's why my original versions planned on getting there the Sunday before. 

However, the economic reality of an extra five days on the road with meals and lodging had some concerned about the overall cost of the trip in terms of both time away and total dollars. After all, on top of being on the road for a week and spending four days in North Carolina, we still have to spend significant dollars to get the cars shipped back and fly home at the end of the event.  I'm betting total costs will be heading towards the $4K mark for each participant bringing a buggy. And, that's before the costs associated with a significant breakdown or failure.   We can defry some costs by doubling up in the hotel stays, and by getting a better lodging rate from a sponsor hotel(s) (which I'm working on now).

I'm personally in favor of the working stiffs schedule as it may afford me the time to drive back and save the airfare and shipping costs.

Last edited by Scott-Drolet on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Scott,

Yes, I am a huge supporter of the MOTB event in OBX. We have enjoyed attending the event since it started. The atmosphere and people are fantastic.
This event is an entire week of hanging out with buggy friends, drinking beer, beach runs, good food, more hanging out, meeting new members, drinking beer, eating pulled pork till it comes out your ears, driving in the wind & rain, driving in the sun, eating a few brats, drinking some more beer, having fun. It is like a huge family reunion. In fact we treat the trip as a vacation. We take 3-4 days to get there, a week in the sun or rain, and 3-4 days to return home.

There was some discussion about Sea to Sea (C2C) before the Buellton event, and I decided to do some research on what it costs me to attend an event. I looked into different ways to participate in the Buellton, CA event. I thought that the trip budget would be around $2200.00 (plus or minus)

Living in NE Illinois introduces several logistic items. For this trip I talked my son, Brian into assisting with the driving to Mesa, AZ. And then flew him back to St. Louis. I spent a couple of days with my friends, and continued to Buellton. I spent 3 enjoyable days at the Buellton event and then drove back to Mesa. After getting 6 hours of sleep, I departed Mesa headed for home.

I decided to head north to I-40 and go east & pickup I-25 to the Denver area. I did not check the weather, big mistake – I got caught in a 8” snow storm in the Denver area. After driving for 20 hrs, I was in a freshly renovated HoJo in Denver. After a quick shower and change of clothes I headed down the street for a great dinner.
Slept in until 8:00 on Tuesday morning, packed up and found the truck covered with 6” of fresh snow and a large ugly cut in one of the trailer tires. Finally made in on the road around 11:30, headed east on I-76.
Next stop was for fuel in Des Moines, Iowa. Then onto home.

Keep in mind that this trip was not done in a buggy. I am fortunate to own a 2008 GMC diesel pickup that pulls a 14' enclosed trailer. Here is the expense summary for the trip:
13 Days
4850 Miles driven
84 Hours driving time
370 Gallons of fuel
$1400.10 Fuel Cost
13.1 MPG
59.15 MPH (Average)
$666.85 Lodging (6 nights)
$380.28 Food cost
$238.37 Trailer tires
$278.00 Airfare for Brian

The total cost, based on the receipts was $2963.50. This includes almost every penny that I spent on the trip. I blew the budget, but I also had a great trip. Can't wait to do it again.

For those doing C2C remember to include the cost of getting to the starting point, and all of the
various costs of returning home. Then ask yourself “Do you want to take a trip of a lifetime?”
From my point there is only 1 answer ---- “YES”.
You will have a trip to remember forever.
Trip memories, with some great friends for life.
Last edited by DIESELDOOG on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Thank you for your perspective.Very well stated Joe.  I'm thinking my $4K figure is probably optomistic, but I wouldn't miss this trip for anything. 
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Scott,

If you figure 900 to ship the buggy back
300 for your airplane ticket   Norfolk to LAX on UAL (as of 04/25/13) You maybe able to beat it w/Southwest
30% of a 700.00 house rental  (600 to 900 as of 04/25/13) 
20+ MPG instead of my 13.1 MPG
Food????  You have to eat where ever you are at.

I think 4K willl be very close.

Joe

PS keep all of your receipts as it is always to disect what the actual cost breakdown really is.
Last edited by DIESELDOOG on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

I think your right Joe(I can't believe I typed that, LOL)I think this will be a once in a lifetime trip, We'll just save some money ahead of time. I've already started working on my buggy preparation checklist (when I'm not working on Lori Ann's tow'd) We're driving west to east for sure, maybe we'll end up driving east to west also, but we'll love every minute of it. In addition we spent friday at MOTB 2012 taking care of club business, this year we will have more time to enjoy.
Last edited by manxvair on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

Ok, while were on the subject..... Is there anyone who is planning on driving back?

Bob K
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

I believe, for certain, Mel Folkertsma, Bob Hunter, Rod Walters,  Mark & Donna Landon (pulling a fifth wheel with their car in it), Tom Szwajkos (also trailering back) and David Barrett (I think, not sure on David).

Those of us who are contemplating driving back are Stuart Benjamin, MIke Dario, and me.
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President