Carlilse Import & Kit Car Show 2012

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Come join us again!
The Deserters Owners Group and the Manx Club will once again host a dune buggy gathering at the Carlisle Import & Kit Car show in Carlisle, PA on May 18 – 20, 2012.
We have 2 special guests this year.  Returning for the 5th time will be Bruce & Winnie Meyers, new special guest is Alex Dearborn, the man behind the Deserter Buggies, they will both be signing autographs (and cars) and give talks about dune buggy history.

How to sign up – go to http://store.carlisleevents.com/SearchR ... asp?Cat=23 , pick the type of entry you want, enter your information, at the club entry,
either pick Manx Club, Deserter owners Group or dunebuggyarchives.com. For the past 3 years, the dune buggy gathering won 2nd place for club participation.

Look for the host tent provided by the Deserters Owners Group, which will be the gathering spot.

Tom Thompson from TJ Kustoms has offered to host his annual BBQ Friday night in the camping area for all the dune buggy folks.
I am planning another group picture for the dune buggies early Saturday afternoon, followed by the road cruise hosted by Carlisle Events which is open to all buggy owners.
Right now, the Saturday night meal at a local estaurant is up in the air because the Sunnyside Restaurant, which had separate rooms for small groups has closed.

I am looking for another venue and will make a later announcement about this and other information.

Thanks!  Tom Iacoboni
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Thanks Tom, we just registered. See you in 74 days.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

We're struggling finding a nice hotel for our stay... We are normally much more prepared than this but this one slipped by.

We were hoping to go back to the Residence Inn Harrisburg in Carlisle but it's sold out. We've booked the Fairfield Inn by Marriott but it's only available for 17th and 18th. We're not looking forward moving hotel for the last night.

Any help appreciated.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

I think we (by that I mean France) found a solution. We cancelled Fairfield and were able to book 3 nights at the Days Inn.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Vincent,

If you need to cancel your reservations in the Carlisle area, be sure to read the fine print.  Most of them require several days notice in advance of the registration date.  The last time I checked it was 6 days notice to cancel.

Joe
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Thanks Joe. You are correct, but both these hotels have friendly cancellation policies and looks like we're in the clear.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Good news.  I have booked a restaurant for the Saturday night dinner, right near the fairgrounds.  I have made a reservation for 20 people.  I'll need to know how many want to go to finalize this.  Thanks!  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Change in plans.  Due to the downtown Carlilse block party Friday night, TJ Tom has asked to move the BBQ to Saturday night after the cruise. All buggy people are invited. To allow folks to go the the block party, we will not be moving the dinner to Friday night.  Maybe next year again.  Thanks!  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

OK guys & gals - here is the schedule as I know it with less than a week to go.  The Deserters Owners Group tent is in the same area as the tent last year.  I am leaving Friday night open for the block party.  I have the name and # of an Italian restaruant that is right near the show for dinner if you want that instead, they take reservations.  Saturday at 2:00 after Bruce & Alex finish talking, we will have a photo shoot on the hillside, Deserters 1st and then everyone else.  After the photo shoot we will do the cruise.  Please make sure your gas tank is full before the cruise.  Sat night TJ Tom will have his BBQ in the camping area, all buggy people are invited.  Sunday is for goodbyes.  Thanks!  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Well, Kathleen & I finally got home last night after
having to do some "family stuff" Sunday night north of Carlisle. Kathleen &
Winnie would like to appoligize for the miscues on the cruise and for any people
who got lost. 2 wrong turns were made , the 1st one was a blond moment, and the
2nd was becasue the map that Carlisle gave us was upside down. I hope everyone
made it home safe and without the drama that Vincent had. Great repair job again
on his part to fix a broken clutch cable on the road.

We won 3rd place for club participation this year, down
from 2nd place in the last 3 years.

Here are a couple of pictures of the
buggies on the hill side. If you want larger copies of these, send me a PM with
your e-mail address, and I will send them. Thanks for a great time, hope to do
it again next year. Tom

This is Alex Dearborn (father of the Deserter dune buggy) with the 6 Deserter buggies that showed up.
This is the owners of the 6 Deserter buggies.
This is all the buggies that showed up with Bruce & Alex out front.
This is Bruce, Winnie & Alex giving a history talk about dune buggies.
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT

Post by 1856 »

An all star collection of buggies ... Thanks for sharing the pics.

MnC
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

I had one more picture that I was waiting until Carlisle Events published it to post.  I really like the "do" on the model. 

L to R - Alex Dearborn, Ed B., me, the model & Bruce.  Note Bruce's right hand placement.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT