2017 NORRA Mexican 1000

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
enesset

Re: 2017 NORRA Mexican 1000

Post by enesset »

Boys and their toys....

I used to closed circuit road course race a turbo Miata (NASA TT series mostly in the Midwest and California). Since we had babies it has been on coasters and hasn't moved in 3 years. Before that car was converted to turbo we also ran it in the Cannonball Run One Lap of America (2006).

Last 5 years I have been involved in NORRA with my early bronco buddies (Navigator and crew). I also have a '69 Bronco but it's more of a show truck....didn't want to convert to racing use and thought building a manx just like my grandpas would be neat and less expensive but like anything the build costs resulted in "jewelry" and it's gotten more expensive than even I have honestly expected and I built the Miata and the Bronco. Those are my body guys from when we lived in San Diego Mark Atherton on the right and one of his guys on the left they do awesome work and I think his shop is now named Bay City Broncos.

On the car topic I have a disease like many of us and an unhealthy attraction to the cannonball run and also have a replica of the Hawaiian Tropic car Terry Bradshaw drove in the pool in the movie (1975 Chevy Laguna same car in photo just no stickers right now.

If anyone wants to talk about vintage motorcycles we could go down that rabbit hole as well when we are all enjoying cold sodas in Baja....in front of the Miata you can just barely see one of my other two miatresses (the Italian). That one hasn't moved a wheel in anger in even longer 8-( her Japanese/Honda stablemate gets exercised more often. 8-). I've lusted after an 1986 red/white/blue XL600R to add the the collection but my wife has her foot down....

enesset

Post by enesset »

Now that I'm older (43) and have a family and don't make much money I figure once a year in Baja is easier on the wallet and family.
enesset

Post by enesset »

Last post for tonight....what radio are you guys using?

Seems like the Yaeusa 2900 with the Mars mod is popular?
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

are you asking about car to car VHF type radios? If so I'll be running Rugged Radios equipment, vertex 2200 50 watt in the Manx, RM60 60 watt in support truck along with some RH5 hand held's.
Rugged Radios has just agreed to Manx Club discount program on almost all of their gear, just contact Randy 888-541-7223 and tell him your with the Manx Club for a 20% discount.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
enesset

Post by enesset »

That's helpful, thanks so much.

Next question....choice of model and supplier (rugged radios as well) for GPS?
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Lowrance Elite-7m which actually is quite large, a 5 I think would be fine, also purchased from Rugged Radios. We will be utilizing an I-pad in the chase truck running Leadnav software.
http://leadnavsystems.com/
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
enesset

Post by enesset »

MIke this continues to be awesome. Thanks so much
enesset

Post by enesset »

GotManx wrote:I'm in. Nacho Cheeze will be taking a rest from this one, but the team will be busy at work prepping the Inchworm.

Jon, did I understand you (Inchworm) runs a swing axle out back?

Also curious what are you running for shocks?

My '69 Manx is BJ front end, thing spindles, IRS out back, Bilstein reservoirs (not coilovers) on front and rear.

I still don't know if I can get it built in time but I'm trying......
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

The Inchworm is on a 65 pan with swing axle in the rear and link pin up front. I'm keeping everything pretty much stock, just beefed up a little bit. I am running 4600 Bilstein's front and rear for shocks.
enesset

Post by enesset »

You sound like my Early Bronco buddies as it pertains to "period correct" and yours will be legit.

My front end with all the "torsion leafs"? still in seems really stiff. if you are running the original Link Pin front end do you take out any of the "shims"?

As a reminder this is my first VW Platform build so I hope I'm using the correct terminology.

As with Mike are you also running GPS and certain radio's?

Not knowing if I will get it built in time, the gps/radio situation is the last thing I'll acquire. I need to do some research on the LeadNav/Ipad option.

Thanks -- Eric

p.s. I got to meet Mark Landon 2 weekends ago and while I had seen the blue Tow'd a few years ago when we were down in Baja I never really looked up close and that thing looks awesome (bombproof). Some of the special touches the austrailians put on it during the build are really neat.
hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

Here's hoping Mr Trump's ongoing Mexican wall discussions don't close the border at the wrong time!!!
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

hillmotorsports wrote:Here's hoping Mr Trump's ongoing Mexican wall discussions don't close the border at the wrong time!!!
Yeah! No kidding! I don't think Mr. Trump will reimburse my entry fees!
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

enesset wrote:You sound like my Early Bronco buddies as it pertains to "period correct" and yours will be legit.

My front end with all the "torsion leafs"? still in seems really stiff. if you are running the original Link Pin front end do you take out any of the "shims"?

As a reminder this is my first VW Platform build so I hope I'm using the correct terminology.

As with Mike are you also running GPS and certain radio's?

Not knowing if I will get it built in time, the gps/radio situation is the last thing I'll acquire. I need to do some research on the LeadNav/Ipad option.

Thanks -- Eric

p.s. I got to meet Mark Landon 2 weekends ago and while I had seen the blue Tow'd a few years ago when we were down in Baja I never really looked up close and that thing looks awesome (bombproof). Some of the special touches the austrailians put on it during the build are really neat.
I left all of the leafs in the front end, but I have adjusters so I can take a little bit of the load off one tube if I need to. I will have a Kenwood TK-790H radio, Lowrance 5M Gen2 GPS and I will probably put in my ICO rally computer that I used for the Sonora Rally: http://www.rallymanagementservices.com/ ... llye-max-g - It will help out to keep up with the road book.

My navigator, Joe, has been playing around with the LeadNav and it seems pretty good. We will have that in the chase truck, but he felt the GPS is probably better for the race car.

Good luck on getting your car together. We still have a long way to go with mine also, but we are making progress.
enesset

Post by enesset »

If there is a place I could rent a Lowrance Baja 5 rather than buy, I'd be super interested....this build $$$ is out of control. Spending $400+ on a gps I would use 1x a year or maybe only once is excessive (and that's coming from a guy with an obvious spending problem that hasn't normally carried about spending $$$ on this manx).......8-) .

My front end also has top and bottom adjusters but I guess those are for height....it is already so high with the Thing BJ front end and the body lift I have the adjusters turned all the way down. With the gas tank full, and the cage built (getting there) and all the extra weight it will be interesting to see if it still seems "too firm".

Appreciate the radio/gps info.
Baja Juan

Post by Baja Juan »

Hello evryone!

For those asking for the NORRA entry #1100, that one is my car. My name is Juan Avila, I'm from Ensenada Mexico and a MC member since 2014.

Entry fee was sponsored by Michael Bloom and somehow his name shows up as driver of record.

some of you probably remember the car from the Big Bear 50th anniversary.

I will post some pictures of the car later, right now it's in pieces at home in Ensenada Mexico.

We are running a 1650cc Vw air cooled, Bus transmission, IRS, Balljoint front suspension, bilstein reservoir shocks all around (1 per wheel), 100 watt Kenwood radio, PCI intercom and a Lowrance 7" HD GPS.

car is a regular length body, originaly set up as 4 seats but will take rear bench out to acomodate a fuel cell.

New to NORRA but not baja, raced class 2/1600, 12, 10 and 11. Won baja 1000 in 2010 on a class 11, 2007 in class 10 and Baja 2000 in class 12.

The car is being prep at home in Ensenada as well as motor and Transmission.

If any of you guys need any help in Ensenada please let me know.

Included with this years NORRA entri fee is the MAG 7 Pit support, if you are using them for gas don't forget to order in advance, they will have 111 octane and 100.

You can contact me at juan@bajaracefuel.com

Juan Avila