PISOM BEACH

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
stubenj

PISOM BEACH

Post by stubenj »

I am going too Pismo for the first time. I have meetings over the weekend March 5-6 But I plain on getting there Wednesday  March 2 nd
even tusday night late.
questions
Do I need sand tire, or just air down
i do have paddle track but i need to change them too 4 lugs not five.
were do i stay for 3 nights med price, close too sand. no rv this time.
hockeygods@san.rr.com
stuart
jsturtlebuggy

PISOM BEACH

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Stuart,
Is this your first time to drive in soft sand?   If so and you want to stay with your using your regular tires you use. 
Air them down to somewhere between 5 to 10psi and stay close to the beach.  If you are by yourself (no other buggies with you) I would not venture to far inland.
If you get stuck it will be easier to find someone to help you.
As you travel inland on the dunes the dunes have drop offs.  Traveling towards the ocean the there more of  an easy roll  to them. The wind coming off the ocean 
causes them to form that way.
If you do decide to use paddle tires you will be able to go almost any place in the dunes.
Dunes can be tricky to read depending on what part of the day your there.  Shadows can hide drop offs.
It is really always better to travel with more than one buggy.   Walking in sand while going for help can be very tiring.   Make sure to have water to drink.
You will have fun, just be aware. 
Pismo Beach was one of the first places I learned how to drive in the sand.
Pacific Plaza Resort in Oceano on Pier street is within 1 block of the beach access (805)473-6989.  People I know says it is a great place to stay. 
Accesses to the beach are both in the town of Oceano which is just a little south of Pismo.
One thing that the Rangers will always tell you, if it at high tide that you are going to need 4 wheel drive because they have no experience with what a buggy can do in soft sand.
Have a blast! 

Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
5150bossman

PISOM BEACH

Post by 5150bossman »

It's always a good idea to have a shovel and a tow strap with you to facilitate getting unstuck. A cellphone is helpful should you find yourself in a hole where no one can see you (Beware falling in to the witches eye! - deep soft bowl). You want to be especially careful for the small children riding near the beach. They have no concept of safe riding, and will ride directly in front of you as you drive. Then the parents of that 5 year-old on a motorcycle will come after you in a heart-beat should something happen.
BuggyBob

PISOM BEACH

Post by BuggyBob »

DO NOT DRIVE NORTH OF THE RANGER STATION ON THE BEACH!
A few years ago, Paul McCain and I decided to stop at Pismo to capture some buggy video with the sunset. We had never been there before. While I was filming Paul driving his buggy in the surf heading north, we past the sign that said " No vehicle traffic beyond this point". I didnt see it and Paul didnt see it. So, as we are headed north, I noticed an ederly lady walking south checking out my buggy. I smiled and waved and she flipped me the biggest, longest middle finger I had ever seen. I was shocked and thought how rude.
We finished our filming and headed back to our tow vehicles and then we saw the sign. Needless to say, we got and earfull from the ranger but no ticket.
stubenj

PISOM BEACH

Post by stubenj »

thanks everyone. I fund the comfort inn  69.00 per night.
just got my DESERT EXPLORER TIRES . ready too go.
stuart
Last edited by stubenj on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.