2015 - ECVW 2015 - It's on!

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
joescoolcustoms

Re: ECVW 2015 - It's on!

Post by joescoolcustoms »

markgruenke wrote:I know I'm late. I am going to make the shuffle to Buffalo & I plan on returning with the ECVW
So count me in Mark-Mark. :-))
Cool!

ECVW '15 heading west is going to be a pretty good sized gang!
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

The "gang" is going to need good communication to stay together. How can we improve from last year? Tom
Subarugears

Post by Subarugears »

We must be crazy.
I just put all the points into my GPS ready for the trip....

Todd Triebler
http://www.subarugears.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sales@subarugears.com
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

I need your input on the drive up to Big Bear. Last year we did a detour/pitstop at the Meyers HQ and drove up with them... The problem is that there's a ladies run on Friday July 10th @ 10:00am. We can most likely make it in time to allow our ladies to participate but not without stopping at the Meyers HQ.

What would be your preference:
  1. Drive directly to Big Bear on the Friday and try to make the Buggistas run
  2. Inquire about stopping at the Meyers HQ
joescoolcustoms

Number 2 for Darlene and myself. Pretty special to go to Bruce and Winnie's house. Upon seeing the Lady's run registration that came in my Manx Mania, I asked Darlene if she wanted to take the buggy on that run and she stated she would prefer to go to B&W's given the chance.

David also told me a while back going to B&W's is his choice too.

At this point in the trip, we do not all have to follow as a group. We can split and then meet back up later in the day.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

#1 for us. Kathleen wants to go on the girls run. Tom
RedBaronofRedBud

Post by RedBaronofRedBud »

Tom is right. Better communication is needed. CBs work well. Up to yall
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

Join us in St Louis for Manx in the Middle 2017!!!

Im not a complete idiot...there are pieces missing.
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Tom-Kathleen wrote:The "gang" is going to need good communication to stay together. How can we improve from last year? Tom

One of the biggest problems is noise preventing proper use of radios to communicate. Life360's text messaging system was pretty good for group messaging (food, fuel, other stops). The Darios had a magic board to send a quick message to another buggy.

I'll be bringing 6 MURS portable radios that operate on FM and has slightly better range than FRS for us to experiment with.
marklandon

Post by marklandon »

Race radios like what we used in Baja

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

[IMPORTANT UPDATE]

We hoped to be able to offer a 'comp' hotel rate in Omaha Midtown Crossing. I'm afraid that we will not be able to offer this but we were able to get a sizable discount on the hotel rate.

If you had already given us your name to stay at that hotel, you have a reservation for 89/night.

If you have any issues, feel free to contact me directly and I'll be glad to answer any concerns.

Thanks for your understanding.
neohic

Post by neohic »

Getting closer! I won't be even close to finished with my buggy but the open door policy stands when everyone gets to Alexandria, MN. If anybody needs a garage/tools/welder/place to pass the bullshit, the welcome mat is out and ready. :thumbup:
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

neohic wrote:Getting closer! I won't be even close to finished with my buggy but the open door policy stands when everyone gets to Alexandria, MN. If anybody needs a garage/tools/welder/place to pass the bullshit, the welcome mat is out and ready. :thumbup:
That very generous Ben and I must say it's what the Manx Club and Dune Buggy community is all about! Thanks for the offer!
joescoolcustoms

Looked at the map and figured out a best place to hook up with the ECVW gang on July 1, 2015.

The 4 of us will stay in Cambridge on Tuesday night. (2.5 hour run after David and Darlene get off work). Meeting on the West side of Cleveland looks to be the best spot.

On I-90, Exit 148 is just before the toll road starts and there is a Speedway Fuel Station just East of the exit on the right.

From Buffalo to Elyria Ohio, Mapquest shows about 3 1/2 hours. So, if the group leaves at 0700, with one fuel stop, and the group should be arriving around 1100 at that exit.

The two Manx's from WV will be there before then.
vincent9993

Re: 2015 - ECVW 2015 - It's on!

Post by vincent9993 »

We left Montreal around 11:00am the sun was gorgeous and the sky so blue. On Metropolitaine there were 2 or 3 accidents so we stay on the service road until St-Michel. After that, no traffic issue. The more we drove west, the more present were the clouds. In Ontario we stopped to put the top. Nobody really at the borders (yes, the same as may, June 13th and last Wednesday, Thousand Islands). It took four times to finally see the sign Welcome to New York, it is before the borders. The Custom Agent asked us more questions than usual. At the question: where are you going? When we answered: California her answer was, in that car? She seems really sceptical. Because it was the same road that we drove three time already and because on the top of that it was raining, we don’t have lot of pictures. We arrived in Buffalo around 6:10pm and the sun was present. When we arrived, Mark Landon helped us unpack. For dinner, we all went (the 16 people who will leave Buffalo tomorrow) to Gabriel’s Gate restaurant. Tomorrow morning when we will leave, we will have participants from three different countries: Canada, United States and Australia.

Provinces / States: Quebec, Ontario, New York
Avg temp: 77F / 25C
Mileage: 400 miles / 644km

Tomorrow destination: Schaumburg, IL

P.S.1: Happy Birthday tomorrow to all the Canadians
P.S.2: Happy Birthday to our friend Marla.

joescoolcustoms

Re: 2015 - ECVW 2015 - It's on!

David and my trip was not as glamorous. Late start due to David and Darlene having to work today, then Rain and cold. But we are 2.5 hours north of home and about 2.5 hours from meeting the ECVW Crew tomorrow morning before noon.

About 140 miles so far.