C.B. required @ Calico?

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
manxter26

C.B. required @ Calico?

Post by manxter26 »

Its been a few years since I've been on a club run, are C.B.s still required? I know that the rain fairys ate my last one and might need to go shopping. Thanks and see all there. Jay
Chicago Joe

Post by Chicago Joe »

Jay, What a good question. Think about it, if you might need it what would the backup be. Buy it then you do not have to worry about if it is required and have to run around to get one. Just install it so it can be removed for storage and eliminate the food source for pests. Joe
Joe Spittler - 1118
BuggyBob

Post by BuggyBob »

I would HIGHLY recommend you have one Jay. BTW: havent got your registration yet, did you send it already? Never mind, just opened my mail and you made it!
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Quote.....Its been a few years since I've been on a club run, are C.B.s still required? I know that the rain fairys ate my last one and might need to go shopping. Thanks and see all there. Jay[/quote] Jay, Both Walmart and Radio Shack have them on their internet sites. Here is a cheap one from Radio Shack.
Ed
BuggyBob

Post by BuggyBob »

A club member at Calico brought up the idea of using FRS radios. Does anybody have any info on this subject?

Post by 1856 »

The FRS uses 450 MHz rather then 27 MHz (CB). The hertz is equivalent to cycles per second the higher MHz the the greater peaks in the radio waves. The closer the peaks, the cleaner the signal. There are ways to kick up the power on CBs to power through the longer wave. But the FRS is not subject to "skip talk" or "boomers". With all this being said I prefer FRS. or even the better business radio @ 456MHz that pushes 35 to 50 watts compared to 5 watts for the CBs. But the prices for mobile business radio starts around $250.00. Then there's VHF radios that run @ 156 MHz and and the cost is a bit lower then the 450MHz Then there's the FCC license ... For the $$$ I prefer FRS.
theManiac

Post by theManiac »

It's been my experience that a properly installed CB radio & the correct antenna for your application, will give you superior service over an FRS unit. The FRS radios do not have a very long range "line of sight" (about 2 miles), so throw in some hills, trees & some of the other obstacles we encounter on our runs & that gets greatly reduced. For a group of buggys that are fairly close to each other, they do work fairly well. The GMRS radios do require an FCC license (I think it costs $75.00), but they are quite a bit more powerful & you can add an external antenna for even better reception & broadcasting. IMO, the best "bang for your buck" is a properly installed CB radio with a matching antenna that is properly installed on your buggy. Several years ago up at Big Bear, during a couple of buggy breakdowns on the trail, the CB in our buggy Xena, was the only radio that everyone could hear & communicate with. The fiberglass whip antenna makes a big difference & the fact I have everything grounded real well does too.