roll bar mounting points

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
cadman2005

roll bar mounting points

Post by cadman2005 »

Hello I have a non Manx with a non Manx roll bar, I am trying to mount the Roll bar which has a pad at the base to connect to the pan but nothing else, how are the bars mounted. It seems that I remember something about attaching to the side fiberglass but I cannot remember if that was good or bad I would love to hear how yours is mounted Thanks Chuck
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I mounted mine with "tube Clamps" to the chassis take a look at Kartec or any one of the off road shops and you'll see what I'm talking about. Tube clamps are extremely strong and I like it much better that welding to the chassis or just bolting a foot through the pan Then you can take the roll cage out at any time I'll post a few pictures when I get back home Gene C #729
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

The most common thing I have seen is the use of a muffler clamp (u-bolt and bracket) slipped around the roll bar and holes drilled through side of body to attach. There is really no strength with just the clamp. Can be made stronger using large washers or some kind of plate (steel or aluminum) on the outside of the body under the mount nuts. The Manx roll bar does not go all the way down to the floor. It mounts through the body near the bottom using a metal bracket 3/16 - 1/4in thick (kind of at a right angle) that attaches to the stock mounting place on the rear shock tower (10mm bolt). There are also brackets welded on higher up the side of the roll bar and bolts through the body using 5/16in bolts. By bolting through the side of body you are using it as a shear panel. If you are going to use the buggy hard whether on road or off the pavement I would recommend a full roll cage.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970