Raised Spindles

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
mel hubbard

Raised Spindles

Post by mel hubbard »

Can anyone advise a good USA company to deal with for raised spindles?,, I've run a wanted ad here in UK for a pair, but that kind of thing is not very popular here, so its a real long shot here. I've just got my veep on its 16'' wheels and put a motor in to get it to sit right (or so I had hoped) and it sits so wrong IMO. I've adjusted the beam as high as I can, but its still got a nose down stance,, to get it looking how I think it should (like the MB's) I've had to jack the front up so the wheels are off the ground by at least two inches. Maybe once the rear settles it won't look quite so bad, but reckon I'm going to need a minimum of 2'' raise. Its a B/J front with drum brakes and I want to stick with the drums. Another option was hunting down some Thing/Trekker 181 spindles & torsion arms, but I don't know how much they will raise it by, or what years they had drums fitted, Maybe you guys can tell me.
dennis-and-cathy

181 lift

Post by dennis-and-cathy »

181 will give you a 3" lift they came with 5 lug brakes but can be converted over to 4 lug drums. The raised spindles aftermarket for a BJ are not drilled for speedo cable. Hope this helps
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

There must be loads of Trekker spindles kicking around Mel when you think of all the lowered ones (fitted with regular Bug spindles) that you see at shows etc. Maybe a wanted ad. on vzi? Other option would be to get the welder out and drop the frame-head a couple of inches.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
theManiac

Post by theManiac »

Hey Mel, this place makes them & I know of at least 6 guys running them & no one has ever had any problems. Of course as talented as you are, you could probably build your own! http://www.blindchickenracing.com/
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Thanks all. Dave, I did run an ad on vzi & the buggy forum and waiting on one guy to get back to me with a price. Like you. I thought there would be loads of them kicking about due to everyone lowering them,,, dropped things is something I will never understand, but they all seem to love them
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Looks like I'm sorted now with Thing spindles & arms. So now I'm thinking about air shocks or air bags for the rear, do any of you guys use these?, only I'm just after a little advice and your opinion on them. I'm more thinking about fine tuning the rear ride height, rather than putting adjustable spring plates on,,, I have those fitted on my IRS buggy, but don't really want them on the veep. Its sitting with a little positive camber at the moment and thats with the motor in it,,, the front is sitting on a jack with the tires about 2'' clear of the ground, so the front springs are relaxed. Its now looking to me about as close to sitting like an MB as I can get it, because they always look a little nose high to me and I'm thinking once the thing spindles are on and I start driving it, there could be a bit too much neg camber on the rear, hence the need for air shocks,, well maybe, depending on your advice!!. I'm starting to think it would have been cheaper just to buy a damn MB!! )'
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I think the air shocks are good if you're going to have large loads on board and want to compensate accordingly, very easy. The adjustable springplates are good for getting things even and the right height, one time. They avoid the unavoidable pain of reindexing the torsion bars multiple times before its right. I really think the adjustable plates would be better. I'm not sure if you might have to reservice the airshocks fairly frequently. We sure as hell had to do it on our jets all the time.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Thanks Nelson, I guess it would be best to wait until the road test, then see how it sits, but I like having a plan in place. I would never have thought it would have needed as much height on the front to make it look right, as it never seemed to sit too bad when you see the early pics. But now its got a 1 1/2'' body lift & 16'' wheels fitted with the military paint & markings it seems to really stand out. I've even left a jack under the front just to keep the wheels up by a couple of inches whilst I'm waiting on the thing spindles, because it was kind of pissing me off every time I walked past it.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I've got an old pair or rear coilovers you could try if you like, crap on a Buggy but the Veep's got more weight so should be OK.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid;15283"]I've got an old pair or rear coilovers you could try if you like, crap on a Buggy but the Veep's got more weight so should be OK.[/QUOTE] Thanks Dave, I got rid of all my coilovers last year, thinking I'd never need them,, aint that just typical?. Buggy Pete just phoned and said he has two sets of thing/trekker spindles & arms,,, more typical stuff,,, and yet I've been pestering Sawmill Jim (on the forum) like mad for the past two days to sell me his set, which he has just agreed to do after me practically begging for them!. Anyway, I'm having one of those sets off Pete to go on the berrian project, because I'm fed up with the 'Low Life'. Good Ol Pete,,, I tell ya what Dave,,if I win the lottery this weekend, I'm gonna treat you & Pete both to new buggy and a months off roading in Baja! . I can just visualize it >>> The three Grumpy Old Amigo's!!
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

There's a Jeep under here somewhere Mel... Image
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Thanks Dave, looks like that could be raising more that just spindles! :) I did a few 40's weekends back in the summer and love the atmosphere it sure seems to be getting popular now, not seen that mag yet, but just got my latest 2010 catalogue through from Jeep Promotions Ltd, and they've devoted a whole page to 40's fashion. I'm still trying to master the Lindy Hop Dance though!! >> http:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAAAV7BB1HU
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Mel, Thanks for the youtube video. Who says we don't have "Rhythm"... Very nice to see young folks embellish a style that was popular 80 years ago and keep it clean. Lately I?ve seen young women have their hair done in a 40ish style. Who knows, maybe some day I?ll be back in vogue. Bob PS. I didn't mean to steal the thread...... [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Towd Dude;15307"][FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Mel, Thanks for the youtube video. Who says we don't have "Rhythm"... Very nice to see young folks embellish a style that was popular 80 years ago and keep it clean. Lately I?ve seen young women have their hair done in a 40ish style. Who knows, maybe some day I?ll be back in vogue. Bob PS. I didn't mean to steal the thread...... [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/QUOTE] Glad you liked it Bob, I bet you don't know which one was me though LOL!. Building that old Veep has opened all kinds of new doors,,, I only went to buy some repro MB fenders & a grill a couple of years back at a 40's week and got hooked on the whole scene. Even one of my daughters (a big beyonce fan) wants to learn the Lindy hop now, after seeing a floor full of Jivers all dressed in 40's clobber dancing to 'The Jive Aces' music at an event this year. I think its kinda come back here already!!