the buggy stering shaft shakes

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
moondoggy200

the buggy stering shaft shakes

Post by moondoggy200 »

this is my frist thread to the club if any body has some advice it would be greatly welcomed.the buggy is a 1964 and the whole frame has been raised 3"and the old owner has addes a link to the steering shaft but no bracing to the shaft from sterring weel to sterring box no support so at bumps the sterring weel shakes about !1half inch from left to right the factory whloe in the dash is the only thing that keeps the weel from going wackey any Ideaes out there . thanks for your time and help moondoggy OUT
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I think you know the answer to your own question really when you say the colomn isn't braced at all. The column outer needs a brace behind the dashboard, take a look at Berrien's kit and search for photos here and on http://www.thesamba.com for inspiration. It sounds like you also need some bracing at the other (bulkhead) end if a joint has been put in. Some photos of what you've got would be nice...we like photos!!! Here's a borrowed pic of the Berrien brace partially fitted as it still needs a clamp between the bracket and the column. A welded and drilled plate and a muffler clamp work well...The closer you can bring it the the driver the better. Image Welcome to the forum by the way!!!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
moondoggy200

thanking David

Post by moondoggy200 »

thanks Dave the pic. sure helped me see what I need Iam making a bracket as we speak and will attach it up as close to the steering weel as I can. thanks again for your help. moondoggy OUTTTT
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

You may also want to replace the steering stablizer. That helped with the shimmy that our buggy had.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid;14568"] Image [/QUOTE] Dave, this is one of the reasons I like scaffolding, because a column support that far down wont ever stop column shake,,, better than nothing maybe. Did I ever tell ya about that buggy I drove in Baja back in 99??? we ended up calling it ''The Wobbling Goblin'' :)
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard;14662"]Dave, this is one of the reasons I like scaffolding, because a column support that far down wont ever stop column shake,,, better than nothing maybe. Did I ever tell ya about that buggy I drove in Baja back in 99??? we ended up calling it ''The Wobbling Goblin'' :)[/QUOTE] That's why I added the bit about getting the brace as close to the wheel as possible. This is the brace, along with all the other bits & pieces that came with the Signiture Manx kits; note the provision for some height adjustment and it ties the screen mounts into the tub for a bit of extra rigitity... Image Here's another home made brace that's a bit more substantial... Image
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid;14668"]That's why I added the bit about getting the brace as close to the wheel as possible. This is the brace, along with all the other bits & pieces that came with the Signiture Manx kits; note the provision for some height adjustment and it ties the screen mounts into the tub for a bit of extra rigitity... Image Here's another home made brace that's a bit more substantial... Image[/QUOTE] I have a car trailer that isn't as substantial as that steering column mount :)
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

The only place we are braced is where your picture shows the mounting bracket toward the end. We go off road and abuse it something aweful and still no shake. The mount bolts into the fiberglass dash. If you still have shake and that was attached, there is a problem further down in the front suspension components.