2011 NORRA Mexican 1000 Rally

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
burro73

Post by burro73 »

Are there any club members that may be doing the NORRA Mexican 1000 rally next May? Small chance that I may take the #8 Burro down again next May, would like to see if any one else is going from the club.

Steve
louisb

Post by louisb »

This looks like a really cool event. Let me know if you need a pit crew. : )

Edit: I was just reading through the site again and I so want to do this one day. Mind you I have never been to Baja and the closest I have been to the desert is flying into LAX a few years ago but it looks really cool. My current buggy wouldn't meet the rules but a nostalgia style buggy would be fun to build, with some safety updates. Ooh, how about a purpose built Towd? I have been looking for an excuse to buy one. Anyone have pics of the Towd that Bruce raced in Baja? Anyone want to start the Towd Lickers' Racing Team and shoot for 2012? Image

--louis
Last edited by louisb on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

Here are some pix's of Tow'd #2. I believe Bruce raced and crashed in #1 but not positive. This Tow'd was prep-ed to race in the earlie 70's but not . It has been stored ever since. It went to France for awhile and returned to Bruce. I think is was recently sold.
Bob

This Tow's has an alinimum hood.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I think it did race at NORRA's 1,000 this year.

There are pictures around that show Bruce and Weelo in the Tow'd at the starting line and after the crash with the front of the frame broken in half. Never have ask Bruce what happen to it. It was using a Saab V4 engine (Ford Industrial).

Number 1 and 2 Tow'd were the only ones with a 4 piece tub. There was a front section, a rear section and 2 pieces that went around the roll bar. In the pictures where it says Tow'd are aluminum pieces. Bruce redesign the Tow'd tub and the mounting of the roll bar so tub could be one piece.

In the pictures of #2 that is a aluminum hood that was made by the guy that did the Cobra bodies for Shelby.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
louisb

Post by louisb »

Pretty cool. I think you could build one that retained the vintage flavor with an updated roll cage and safety gear. I was reading the rules and it doesn't look that bad to set up a car for the race. Of course the trick would be to find a towd to build, oh and a co-driver.

Thanks,

--louis
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

[b][b][b]louisb[/b][/b][/b] wrote:Pretty cool. I think you could build one that retained the vintage flavor with an updated roll cage and safety gear. I was reading the rules and it doesn't look that bad to set up a car for the race. Of course the trick would be to find a towd to build, oh and a co-driver.
Louis,
Don't forget to add two Bulletproof  Vests to the list.

Ed
louisb

Post by louisb »

Kevlar reinforced body and a 50 cal mounted to the roll bar?

--louis
MyBlueBuggy

Post by MyBlueBuggy »

Now you're talking. A Tow'd with bite.