Selecting a bimini type of top

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
Dan B.

Selecting a bimini type of top

Post by Dan B. »

Being relatively new to buggys, the following may seem like dumb question. When looking for a bimini stye of top, what kind of a vehicle do you look for that is sized and priced the same as a manx type buggy? (like a jeep CJ?) As I doubt they have size listed for a manx buggy. Dan
TMc2548

Post by TMc2548 »

Dan, I bought a "Sombrero" from Tom aka MrTowd over at Tijuana Kustoms. It's a bimini style top designed specifically for the buggy. I love mine and highly recommend it.
Dan B.

Post by Dan B. »

Tom, Thanks for your response. I tried to check out his website, but looks like he is updating it presently. I'll give him a call and see if he can get me some info on the sombrero model. Its good to know someone has one and is happy with theirs. Thanks, Dan in Folsom
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

I also have one from Tijuana Kustoms and highly recommend it. Fits very nicely and we were very happy to have it during out drive back from Big Bear in the heat!
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
Dan B.

Post by Dan B. »

Vincent, You sure gave it one heck of a test on your long trip! I hope your return trip back home went well. Sounds like thats the top to get! Thanks, Dan
Dan B.

Tom aka Mr Towd

Post by Dan B. »

Tom aka "Mr Towd", Check your mailbox, I just sent you a PM. Dan
Lee

Post by Lee »

The Sombrero is presently the only bimini top I would consider. I had one made by an upholstery shop, and it would snap in the wind no matter what I tried. From what I have read, the Sombrero does not have this problem. The other option is to build a roof rack with an aluminum roof and never have to worry about snapping or flapping in the wind!
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

For the budget minded(if you or someone you know can sew), you can buy a Jeep bikini top (Best Tops or the like) for an older Jeep with a windshield track, then cut it down yourself. I think we took off 6" or so from each side, and had to redo the rear attachment points a bit, but all in all it cost us around $40. Now a days, I think the tops are going for $65 or so. It worked great for around 7 years before the fabric began to give out at the front corners.
mstokes

Post by mstokes »

I just received my new Sombrero top from TK Kustoms and I am looking forward to installing it this weekend.
tim morgan

Post by tim morgan »

[QUOTE="mstokes;14503"]I just received my new Sombrero top from TK Kustoms and I am looking forward to installing it this weekend.[/QUOTE]Pictures please,,,Would love to see what it look's like,,,Thanks Tim
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Here are some pictures of an installed Sombrero Top. Image Image Image Image
tim morgan

Post by tim morgan »

That look's nice,,Is there a way to install one with out drilling a hole in the frame for the snap,??
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

[QUOTE="tim morgan;14506"]...Is there a way to install one with out drilling a hole in the frame for the snap,??[/QUOTE] Yes! I used mirror billet mounts and cut them in half, machined them down on an angle and tapped a snap onto it. Works good and can be removed with allen screw. Image Take a look at they way I did it: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3819077&highlight=#3819077
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
tim morgan

Post by tim morgan »

Nice job Vincent,,Looks good,I just find it hard to drill holes in a new frame,,,,That I can work with,,Thanks
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Join the club! No way I could bring myself to mutilate that fresh frame! I really like the Sombrero top. I had to come up with a few mods to make it work perfectly. I used the above adaptors for the snaps and I had to add a piece of machined plexiglass about 3/4" x 6" long that I wedge in the center of the windshield to ensure the plastic strip does not pull out under high winds. I also found the back to 'wip' the rollbar under heavy wind from time to time. I tried to stick a 2" female velcro strip the length of the rollbar to the underside of the Sombrero but it did not change much. It only wips when there's a 10mph wind or higher... And it's actually quite acceptable. I would have liked to have a velcro the width of the top under the rollbar to wrap around the rollbar. it would have held things nicely. We've used the top in high heat at 75mph for over 8 hours with no issues in New Mexico and Arizona. I always put it on at shows and events. I think it complements the buggy quite nicely and helps keeping my stuff dry on small drizzles. Note how I've secured the back to the custome trunk in the thread I posted above. Again, could not bring myself to swisscheese my body! Finaly, I've been using a pokerchip style aluminum case to store the top when I don't use it. It's actually a BBQ tools case. (Sorry no pictures) Hope this helps a little.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips