Selecting a bimini type of top

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
TMc2548

Post by TMc2548 »

I have a Sombrero top and I've had the same problem with the front edge pulling out at high speeds. I ended up inserting a short length of clothes line in the front groove. You can't see it and it's held up great so far.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

About 4 years ago I had a full top made for my buggy. The design I had in mind (and completed) was to have zip out side curtains and rear window. Although I have some material that comes down the sides (from the roll bar back) and secures to the body, the bimini affect is there when I remove the curtains and rear window. I've read with interest the "real world" experiences that a few have had with Tom's bimini and would like to share another option to help with the top pulling from the windshield and flapping in the wind (mind does neither) at high speeds. In the picture below you will see that I have a flap that snaps the top to the roll bar. I have to pull the top very tightly (after its inserted in the front lip of the windshield) over the roll bar to get the snaps to snap. The result is a top that is very tight on the roof. Additionally, I don't need any snaps on the sides of the windshield frame. I will say that I didn't like the idea of drilling snaps into my roll bar (the shop did this on their own) but it does hold the top very tightly. If I were to do it again I'd have a flap that wraps around the roll bar with industrial velcro. Lastly the sides that attach to the body snaps adds additional tension to the top. If I were to have a bimini made like my top (to eliminate the material on the sides) I think a strap like Tom has on his top would work. Here's the picture: Image There are a lot of other pictures at: http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album240 Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Dan B.

Post by Dan B. »

Wow, I'm glad I brought up the topic of the bimini style tops back in july! Boy, there's a lot of great info and pics posted here! Thanks for all the replys and keep sending them if you guys get any more ideas or sugestions! Dan
TMc2548

Post by TMc2548 »

Here's where I attached my top to the rear of the buggy. The anchor loop that was supplied with the top broke when I pulled too hard on the straps. In the picture you can see I substituted a couple nylon loops I got from a spare backpack but they have since broken as well. I now have used a link from a small chain. It is much more secure. Image
mstokes

Post by mstokes »

I have installed my top. Here are some photo's. I substituted a spring hook and strap (available from your local hardware store for about $12) for the rear anchor points for easy removal. See photo.
tim morgan

Post by tim morgan »

Looks good Mike,,What did you do with the front edge,,Is it tucked into the frame in any way ??
mstokes

Post by mstokes »

I'm not sure what you are refering to, but if you mean the front of the top, it has a hard plastic strip sewn into it that slips into the groove on the fronjt of the windshield frame. You need to install 2 snaps to secure the front corners. So it can be easily removed by releasing the two rear hooks and the two front snaps. Look at vincent9993's photo.
tim morgan

Post by tim morgan »

Thanks,,Thats what I wanted to know,