East Coast Buggy Jam?

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
BuggyBob

East Coast Buggy Jam?

Post by BuggyBob »

Hey Bud Zellar, Have you been thinking about what we talked about?
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Yes, Bob I have been thinking about it after we talked the other day. I'm planning on composing a thread to bring the idea up here and see where it flys. Do you mind if I share a little about our conversation on an event? Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
BuggyBob

Post by BuggyBob »

Go for it, Bud.

Post by 1856 »

Oh yes ... please do.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

We would be "up" for a east coast Manx Club event! Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Sounds like someone was listening to my award acceptance speech at Big Bear! lol France and I are in (if it's not too far) lol.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
BuggyBob

Post by BuggyBob »

Bud and I were discussing an event on the East Coast equal to Big Bear. I understand that maybe the first year the turnout may be low, but eventually we could have dual events in July that would cover the east and west coast. If you all on the east coast want to join forces and develope a plan for an East coast buggy jam or what ever you want to name it, thats what the club is looking for now.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

[quote="Buggybob;14173"]Bud and I were discussing an event on the East Coast equal to Big Bear. I understand that maybe the first year the turnout may be low, but eventually we could have dual events in July that would cover the east and west coast. If you all on the east coast want to join forces and develope a plan for an East coast buggy jam or what ever you want to name it, thats what the club is looking for now.[/quote] Further information: First I want to say that Bob reached out to me by phone as a result of comments made on another site. After a few minutes on the phone with Bob I quickly realized that he is only interested in changing the old perceptions of the Manx Club and to promote the club beyond the boundaries of CA. Our conversation was very positive and has given me hope that there are people (running the club) that are interested in including all those members that are geographically challenged and can't take advantage of the events on the west coast. Thank you Bob. Bob and I discussed the challenges faced by the east coast members in being able to participate in planned events sponsored by the Manx Club. Bob suggested that we east coasters discuss, plan, and schedule a first event to get the ball rolling. Bob indicated that the parent MC would provide some support by way of paying for and/or providing banners or other logistical items that might be needed for the event/meet. Some thoughts that I shared with Bob was that we should probably start with something small for the first time, possibly piggy backing on an existing event (non-MC) that may be scheduled out here in the east. Unfortunately we don't have the advantage of an existing event (e.g. Big Bear) to continue and promote. We would be starting from scratch. I'm putting this out to the east coasters (or anyone else that may be interested) to see what the interest might be, suggested central locations, timing, and someone(s) that would love to organize such an event. I would be happy to assist as much as I can. Thoughts, comments, suggestions... Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Why not time it in conjunction with the turning of the fall colors (not sure how the weather is then, being from CA...). That would make for a spectacular run and would help draw participants in.
theManiac

East Coast Manx Club Event

Post by theManiac »

Hey Bud... remember, it just takes that "first step" to get the ball rolling!!! Also, if someone mentions that they would be willing to help, let them help, regardless of how small or large their help will be!!! It's been long overdue for an East Coast Manx Club Adventure!!! You guys may not have the off-road trails like we do out here in the West, but there are some great drives back there on the asphalt!!! Good Luck!!!
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Bud, There was a fair showing of people from NY, NJ, PA that showed up at Carlisle to meet Bruce. It wasn't record setting, but then again, Carlisle is in the middle of nowhere. I looked at the registry a few years ago and was supprised that MA, NY, PA had a lot of members. I suppose that has a lot to do with the simple populations of the areas, but still, a lot of members. The only other state that came close was Florida. I suppose that as well has it's obvious reasons. Down South, I go to the Outer Banks and enjoy one of the few buggy friendly areas that I know of on the East Coast. I'm not sure how accomodating they would be to an event that caters to off roaders. That's been a touchy subject for the last few years down there. (I could be worng on that though) There is a member...SurfNC that could possibly be a resource in that area. Personally, for me to be interested in attending and helping out. It has to be held at a destination. (Carlisle, despite Bruce being there, isn't much of a destination) Actually, I'll help out regardless, but think it would be more succesful at a nice final desitnation. LEt me know how I can help.
towd-dude

Right coast event.

Post by towd-dude »

33, Whatever kind of event you put together, I wouldn't worry to much about the off-road stuff. Just getting everyone together would be a blast. Two years ago I went to the Texas Manx Club run taking the Baja Manxter expecting some serious off roading. Seems Texas is all private land and there was not one foot of off-road to be had. However, it turned out to be a excellent run anyway. We drove through cattle country and even started a few mini stampedes. The water crossing was a damp spot in the road. None the less it was the people that made the event and in the end that's what it's really all about. If I ever get the wrinkles ironed out of this new buggy I'm going back and I'll be coming to yours too. Bob
BuggyBob

Post by BuggyBob »

I would definitly attend an east coast buggy event. I might even try to drive my buggy there and back.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

SiggyManx#33 wrote:Bud, There was a fair showing of people from NY, NJ, PA that showed up at Carlisle to meet Bruce. It wasn't record setting, but then again, Carlisle is in the middle of nowhere. I looked at the registry a few years ago and was supprised that MA, NY, PA had a lot of members. I suppose that has a lot to do with the simple populations of the areas, but still, a lot of members. The only other state that came close was Florida. I suppose that as well has it's obvious reasons. Down South, I go to the Outer Banks and enjoy one of the few buggy friendly areas that I know of on the East Coast. I'm not sure how accomodating they would be to an event that caters to off roaders. That's been a touchy subject for the last few years down there. (I could be worng on that though) There is a member...SurfNC that could possibly be a resource in that area. Personally, for me to be interested in attending and helping out. It has to be held at a destination. (Carlisle, despite Bruce being there, isn't much of a destination) Actually, I'll help out regardless, but think it would be more succesful at a nice final desitnation. LEt me know how I can help.
All, I'm glad to see there is some interest in the idea of an east coaster. Dave, I agree that the destination should be key. I too have looked over the registry and noticed the same things as you. I've always thought that somewhere along the coast (mid-way between NY and FL) would be a great location. The Outer Banks would be fun in that you could have some beach runs for those interested in that and some hard pavement runs along the coast. OBs is more rural and laid back. Another great spot for meeting is Myrtle Beach. Lots to do with families, although maybe not a lot for crusing (except for the strip). Someone suggested the fall tour. The Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful in the fall but it might be a bit cool in an open buggy. I hate to say this because I really would like to see it happen but I know that I'm not the organizing kind but can and will assist in any way. It might just take one person to step up and the rest of us can pitch in. What other locations and/or ideas are out there? Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
BuggyBob

Post by BuggyBob »

Savannah, georgia virginia beach, virginia Jacksonville, florida Charlston,south carolina These are few spots I found on Google maps the wife says how about Boston, Mass.