Bleeding Brakes

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
Siggymanx33

Bleeding Brakes

Post by Siggymanx33 »

I was wondering if someone can help me with my brake bleeding. I know the rotation, I know about bench bleeding as well as shoe adjustment. What I dont' know is how to do the actual bleeding. Does my partner need to pump the brakes then I open the valve then close. Or do I open the valve and have the person pump till it flows solid then close the valve? Do I use the tubing trick in a clear jar with fluid? I was opening the valve and just having the person pump in and out and that only got me a half way solid pedal? I am pretty sure that I was just letting air back in. I do have the proper freeplay at the pedal. I hope this makes sense, just not sure what actually gets done with the bleeder and the pumping of the pedal. Thanks in advance for any help....
dennis-and-cathy

Post by dennis-and-cathy »

Have someone pump the pedal a couple of times and hold it down, open the bleeder screw, when the pedal goes to the floor close the screw, repeat the process until you get all the air out, keep and eye on the resevour and make sure it dosen't get too low to allow more air into the system. I always start on the right rear, then do the left rear, then on to right front then the left front. Good luck. :D
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Thank you Dennis, that is not what I was doing. Any tricks to know when all the air is out?
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Slip a piece of clear vinyl tubing about 8 or 10" long over the nipple and put the other end in a jar. Crack open the nipple with a wrench but don't unscrew it any farther than you need to allow the fluid to freely flow out, when your helper presses the pedal. The helper should make slow smooth presses on the brake pedal, no quick pumps. When the bubbles stop coming out the nipple, tell him to hold the pedal down, and with the tube in place use an open end wrench to snug the nipple. After its snug you can pull off the tube and use a correct size closed end wrench to tighten the nipple.
L0084MC

Post by L0084MC »

I put a small hose on the bleeder and then down into a clear jar with a little brake fluid in it. You can see the air come out of the hose and know when all the air is out of that cylinder. Keep the padal to the floor until the bleeder is tight closed.
TMc2548

Post by TMc2548 »

If you've bled the car with the procedure Dennis outlined and witness no more air exiting the bleeder then you should have a nice firm pedal. Make sure you have the shoes adjusted beforehand so you don't confuse a low pedal with a spongy one. I use an old pickle jar half full of clean fluid and a clear hose from the bleeder to the jar so the end of th ehose is submerged in the fluid. That way I can easily see the air as it comes out and when it stops. You also prevent air returning to the system if your partner is premeture in lifting his foot before you tighten the bleeder.
Lee

Post by Lee »

If you find yourself working alone (as I often do), you can still bleed the brakes. The procedure is similar to those outlined above, but there is a slight modification: Set up the jar and the tube like always. This time, put the jar up higher than the bleeder screw. Air bubbles rise. Loosen the bleeder screw 1/4 turn. Gently pump the pedal a few times. The air will come out. If you can position yourself correctly, you can see the jar so you know when you got it all. Tighten the bleeder screw when done. Repeat for the other three wheels. Adjust shoes and check the pedal again. Works every time for me, even on my 'real' vehicles.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Another little trick, if you are bleeding the brakes by yourself. Remove the bleeder screws before you start and put a little grease on the threads. This will prevent air from getting sucked in around the threads.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

You guys are good. Thanks for the help, everything worked out great and the brakes are better than new.