Importing Manx Tubs

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
rzeller

Importing Manx Tubs

Post by rzeller »

[font=Times New Roman]A thought occurred to me the other day that there are Manx badged bodies being produced in Europe (I believe by East Coast Manx in the UK) with approval/authorization (I assume) of Bruce and company. Is there some reason, other than the cost to import, why these tubs are not being imported to the US? Is there some ?agreement? between Meyers? Inc and East Coast Manx that they wouldn?t export to the US? I checked the price list today and the cost of a Manx II tub from East Coast Manx is equivalent to $2207. [font=Times New Roman] [font=Times New Roman]Since the Siggy series seems to have been a huge success, it makes me wonder why no one hasn?t bought a load of these tubs and tried to sell them in the US. I understand why Bruce wouldn?t do it since it would cut into the sales of the Manxter. [font=Times New Roman] [font=Times New Roman]Just a random thought?.. Bud.
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

I believe I contacted them years ago when I was looking for a body and they refused to explore the options of getting me one to the States.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="madmanx"][font=Times New Roman] I understand why Bruce wouldn?t do it since it would cut into the sales of the Manxter.[/QUOTE] The reason Bruce hasn't restarted manufacture of the Meyers Manx in the United States is because when he made the Classic Manx he said he was only going to make 100 and then would never make them again. He feels he's obligated to the people who bought the 100 Classics to stand by his word. I have a Classic Manx and if Bruce restarted making the Meyers Manx it wouldn't bother me at all. They wouldn't be Classic Manxs, they be some other type of Meyers Manx. I talked to Bruce at Tahoe and he said he had been working on an updated SWB Manx but its been put on the back burner recently. This is the Classic Manx announcement from Mar 2000. http://www.lightner.net/manxclub/classic_manx.html
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

I guess based on Dave's experience, we can assume there is an agreement with East Coast Manx not to import to the US. Makes me wonder why a private person(s) hasn't bought up a few of the tubs over there and sent them here to eBay away. Too bad. It would have been nice to have some options. Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

The East Coast Manx kits are not authorized by Bruce and he recieves no royalties from them. The moulds were taken from a Siggy Manx blem. and an original Manx II and authorized Manxes were once made from them but the moulds changed hands (long story) so there is now no link between ECM and Meyers Manx. Sorry guys!!!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid"]The East Coast Manx kits are not authorized by Bruce and he recieves no royalties from them. The moulds were taken from a Siggy Manx blem. and an original Manx II and authorized Manxes were once made from them but the moulds changed hands (long story) so there is now no link between ECM and Meyers Manx. Sorry guys!!![/QUOTE] Thanks for the education. That really makes me wonder why they wouldn't sell Dave one (years ago). I've read the subtle messages about moulds changing hands before. I always wondered about the story behind the story. Risking getting yelled at, is there a Mel connection with that story? :confused: So is there an "authorized" Manx tub being sold in Europe today? I've communicated with at least one person (outside of the UK but in Europe) who said he bought and built a real Manx II. Was it a left-over from another time? Just curious... and bored. :D Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="madmanx"] is there a Mel connection with that story? :confused: Bud[/QUOTE] Bud, its a crazy long story with bad vibes but as Dave said the UK ones are not authorized and I have no part (and NEVER will have) in making East Coast stuff. It would work out far cheaper to restore an old Manx body kit & take a mold off it yourself,,,, in the time it would take to ship from UK to USA you could have a new mold made and 3 or more new kits out of it no problem. I thought other companies in USA already did Manx clones :confused: IMO that would be far better than shipping from here. If any of you guys want to take a mold & make em yourself I have step by step pics (all hand lay up) which I could mail,,, it aint so hard,,,,, a few rollers,, paint brush,, mixing buckets & a ?150 flake gun & compressor (if you want the flake) is about all the tools you will need to DIY hand lay up a new clone. Maybe Jason will loan his early model as the plug :driving: :D Seems the old classic shape authentic Manx has a lot of miles left in it for Bruce & Winnie,,,, a flat rear deck like the Manx 2, a lifting hood with the headlamp pods removed should keep the past siggy customers happy but I guess the ol fellas far too busy working on the new one.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard"]Bud, its a crazy long story with bad vibes but as Dave said the UK ones are not authorized and I have no part (and NEVER will have) in making East Coast stuff. It would work out far cheaper to restore an old Manx body kit & take a mold off it yourself,,,, in the time it would take to ship from UK to USA you could have a new mold made and 3 or more new kits out of it no problem. I thought other companies in USA already did Manx clones :confused: IMO that would be far better than shipping from here. If any of you guys want to take a mold & make em yourself I have step by step pics (all hand lay up) which I could mail,,, it aint so hard,,,,, a few rollers,, paint brush,, mixing buckets & a ?150 flake gun & compressor (if you want the flake) is about all the tools you will need to DIY hand lay up a new clone. Maybe Jason will loan his early model as the plug :driving: :D Seems the old classic shape authentic Manx has a lot of miles left in it for Bruce & Winnie,,,, a flat rear deck like the Manx 2, a lifting hood with the headlamp pods removed should keep the past siggy customers happy but I guess the ol fellas far too busy working on the new one.[/QUOTE] As you say Mel, easy to copy but I think Bud was more after a legitimate way of getting hold of genuine Manxes rather than copies. I think you can still get authorized ones from France but the guy's hard to get hold of and he doesn't advertise or have a website. His prices are about double ECM's so well expensive... Not too sure if you can still get real ones from Australia... I'm sure Bruce's still got the Siggy moulds and there's certainly a demand, but he seems to have a reluctance to use them. It's such a shame that if you want to build an SWB car in the US using a new shell you've got no option but to use an imitation.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
90volts

Post by 90volts »

why? it seems the much better option than looking for a manx. its just a name. i've seen some of the new buggy bodys from berrien for example and its just as good if not better than a manx body. i can understand wanting one of the original runs of the 60s bodies, but anything newer i don't see the appeal.they too are just a copy of the original. i hope he does come out with a new design for a swb. something fresh hopefully. and hopefully it's much less expensive than a manxter.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="90volts"]why? it seems the much better option than looking for a manx. its just a name. i've seen some of the new buggy bodys from berrien for example and its just as good if not better than a manx body.[/QUOTE] http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-165825--.html Here's a thread from Samba that addresses the issue you raise. The majority seem to have a different impression than you. I can't recall meeting anyone who has owned one was unhappy with the quality/thickness of their Meyers Manx. Most owners also enjoy having a buggy that holds its value, if not appreciates.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

i don't find manx bodies to be a lesser quality. thats not what i meant, just to be clear. i just meant that new bodies are as good a quality. back in the 70s,80s the most clones were definately lesser quality because they were making them to make a quick buck. but i think nowadays the body makers out there are in it for the hobby and make a good product. as to the value? i don't think a manx will hold enough value compared anything else. at least not too much more. in the case of a manx and a clone i think we all have way to much money has been invested in it to recoup that money back. unless it's a monoquocue. but thats a different story. i think most people are looking for a quality buld these days above all else. but if something new does come out i do hope its something different. i would like to see a swb manxter styled kit for around 2K. i'd probably pull mine apart to do a complete rebuild at that point!
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Guys, Thanks for the info. I really didn't mean for the thread to start a debate on the clones vs. original Manx's :D. I was just curious about the manufacturer advertising Manx dune buggies in the UK. Dave, The French Manx you had a link too; was the tub built in France or built in the US for export? Sorry, but I don't read, write, or speak French so the description on the web site was lost on me. Was that an example of the Manx's that you said are built in France? Is that one from Jackie Morel's (sorry if I misspelled his name) business? Thanks again, Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Yes, I belive the one advertized is a French moulded one. Dave.
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Here is a link to a message that Mel provided notes and pictures on Hand Laying a Fiberglass Buggy Body. I would have posted them here on the ManxClub, however the heavy restriction of only 4 pictures per message was very limiting and cumberson (for the approximately 60+ pictures). Both Mel and I hope you enjoy them. Mel says there will be more in the future and I'll be glad to help him do them.