English Floods

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
shaihulud

English Floods

Post by shaihulud »

Mel. I hope that you and Dave have not been adversely affected by the floods. Strange as it may seem, we could do with a downpour like that here. We've been in what is effectively a drought for years now. Our rivers could do with a good flush out, the dams could do with over flowing, the ground water could do with topping up and the farmers could do with a bumper crop. Richard.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Thanks for the concern but I'm fine mate. My part of Britain's quite well drained I recon. Quite scary what I've seen on TV though. I'll speak to Mel later, they've all got webbed feet in his part of the world anyway so he should be fine!!!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Some of the floods are not too far away from me (in Cambs) but its OK here at the moment. Richard, seems we need to run water pipes from UK to Aus. Crazy Weather :crazy: wonder if we will get a summer this year :confused:
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I wonder how the Weeting Steam Rally fared?
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="CairoManx"]I wonder how the Weeting Steam Rally fared?[/QUOTE] Ha,, you had me confused for a minute :confused: then I thought,,,,,,, Mildenhall, USAF, Suffolk and Nelson :D I take it you've been to that one before?
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="CairoManx"]I wonder how the Weeting Steam Rally fared?[/QUOTE] It did just fine.... http://www.wattonandswaffhamtimes.co.uk ... ory=search
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard"]Ha,, you had me confused for a minute :confused: then I thought,,,,,,, Mildenhall, USAF, Suffolk and Nelson :D I take it you've been to that one before?[/QUOTE] Never missed it! My favorite sight was in Brandon near the rail crossing. A dozen traction engines parked steaming and smoking in the street, out front of the pub, while their owners stopped for a pint. Only in the UK. Glad to hear they had a good Sunday.
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

Mel and Dave. I'm glad that you are O.K. Appropos you light hearted suggestion that you pipe your excess water to us, we have a serious proposal here in West Aust. to pipe water from the Kimberleys in our Far North to the South West. That's the equivalent, in distance and engineering difficulty, of you piping your excess water to Greece or in the U.S.A. from the Tennesee Valley Authority to Nevada. Unfortunately Australia is a dry country and we don't have enough in the heavily populated S.W. We have just built a big gas powered desalination plant and we are considering more of them. So, a good flood is just what we need.