HELP~lost part

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
Jon

HELP~lost part

Post by Jon »

I need some help in locating a lost washer. The swing axle was taken apart a couple of years ago, and I seem to have lost the outside washer on the axle assembly. It's a thin steel washer that protects the rubber axle seal from the elements. If Anyone has an old Axle end cap, I sure would love to get my hands on that washer. It's not something in the VW parts catalog, at least we couldn't find it. ANY HELP WOULD BE A BIG HELP It' the thin rusty "thing" in the left!
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Gene-C

Missing Washer

Post by Gene-C »

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Like Cairo Manx shows the photo is a rear axle seal kit. It comes with all the stuff you need. Available @ any VW parts house. You can get it by mail order from Pacific customs for around $6+, they are in Hot VW's[/FONT]
mackaymanx

Post by mackaymanx »

I think he might be missing the oil slinger. Which doesn't come in the kits. bearing washer small o-ring spacer/seal oil slinger brake drum
Jon

slinger

Post by Jon »

that's the part...."an oil deflector" Does anyone have and extra end cap laying around, it's the last washer as the axle is buttoned up......
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Oil deflector, #13, Sorry, I looked but don't have an extra. If you're also looking for a bearing cover, #14, (extra end cap?)they vary with different length axles Image
manxfwin

lost part

Post by manxfwin »

You might try Vic's VW,his shop was up for sale but if he is still open he'll have it available.
Gene-C

oil slinger

Post by Gene-C »

The washer shown in Cairo Manx's photo looks like the same one in the kit, as I got that kit for my IRS and the guy says They now make the oil seal kit for both types.
Jon

washer

Post by Jon »

I wish it were true, But alas the washer that comes in the rebuild kit is just small enough (OD) to fall right out the bearing end cap.. I've been down that road with my local VW part shop. Believe me, the washer I'm looking for does not come in a rebuild kit. It is not in a VW parts catalog......Somewhere out there, one of our Manx Members with a garage full of old swing axle parts has an end cap, with the rubber seal still intact. The oil deflecting washer is behind the seal towards the outer side of the cap that bolts to the axle housing. If you pull off the break drum you'll see the end cap ( 4 bolts securing it to the axle) As you look at the axle splines there is a washer that keeps the dirt out and the trans oil diverting to the drain hole on the bottom of the axle cap. It is (NUMBER 13) in the diagram of CairoManx's response! THANKS IN ADVANCE
Jon

Next Problem

Post by Jon »

THIS REBUILD IS DRIVIN' ME CRAZY! Located the washer I needed south of town.... Guy rebuilds VW's. Has a great bone yard out back.... Next in my long line of problems. Im rebuilding a long axle on a Berrien Chassis for my "68 Manx Also fitting all four corners with CB Performance 5 wide disc brakes. Fitted the new tranny and installed axles, then slid axle covers and buttoned everything up. Heated the bearing to 500 degrees and drove them into place. Followed instructions on the end cap installation. Before closing up the end cap, the axle seemed to move in and out about 3/8". I'm wondering if I did not sent the bearing all the way home! It seated into the axle tube with a couple of respectable taps on the drift..... As I throw on the hub and spacer supplied by CB, I have to get the nut on the axle another 1/4" just to see the cotter pin hole. I haven't torqued down the axle (will that draw the bearing in without stripping the axle threads?) as yet. So now the real problem, when I spin the hub the noise that it make in the same spot on each revolution sounds like a piece of metal just coming into contact with another piece of metal. Breaking every thing back down, I thing (guess) that the noise is being transmitted down the axle to the end cap...... Any insight would would be very helpful THANKS
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Sounds like you have a problem with the size of the hub & spacer, provided by CB, the outer spacer, #10 in the pic rides against the stock hub. I know of some othere who do different types of modifications and have to get the spacers machined down to get the cotter key to fit. Just someting to ponder. VW Help.com says that the shim is OD = 1.75" / ID = 1.18" & .020" thick, the spacer is OD 1.75" / ID 1.185" & 0.55 to 0.610" thick[/FONT][/SIZE]