A Few Questions

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
L0084MC

A Few Questions

Post by L0084MC »

MarkMark was right about my buggy being low in the rear. After it was driven a little it got lower. #1. Does anyone know the best way to tighten up the torque on the rear of that (swing axle) buggy. Do you disconnect the brake lines, whats the best angle or torque. Also the steering has a little too much play in it for me. #2. Is it best to rebuild the old one or buy a new one. If a new one is best, what is a good one to buy.
CairoManx

Weak Suspenders

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="L0084MC"]MarkMark was right about my buggy being low in the rear. After it was driven a little it got lower. #1. Does anyone know the best way to tighten up the torque on the rear of that (swing axle) buggy. Do you disconnect the brake lines, whats the best angle or torque.[/QUOTE] There's a Dave Helland article on the old Manx Club site called "Weak Suspenders", that explains how to adjust your rear suspension torsion bars. http://www.papafernandez.com/manxclub/suspend.html The play in the VW steering gear box can be adjusted out. There is a set screw with a lock nut on top of the steering box that can be tightened. There is a book by John Muir titled, "How to Keep your VW Alive" that would be helpful as a shop manual for most maintenance on a VW.
Lee

Post by Lee »

If you find that you aren't able to adjust the play out of the steering box, I recommend a new TRW box. I have had good luck with mine. Here's an example: http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproduc ... 0720883397
L0084MC

Post by L0084MC »

Thanks CarioManx, The instructions were right on. The instructions say for off road use they reccomend one tooth down from center but When I got it apart, I found that mine was one tooth above center. I went one tooth down to center and then one more tooth down as stated. A world of differance. It put the plate right where he said it would be, covering half of the bottom hole. Not as bad a job as I thought it would be after I got started everything went smooth for me. The steering adjustment only had one turn left in it. I took it all the way down and could not tell any differance in the steering. Too far gone I guess. Thanks for the tip Lee. I am going on line here in a few to order one.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Adjusting rear torsion bars is no small job. Glad to hear it went smooth for you. The new steering box sounds like the way to go too.
markmark

Post by markmark »

How does it look now after adjusting the rear torsion bars? Did it raise the rear by much?
L0084MC

Post by L0084MC »

Yes markmark it raised it quit a bit. The more I drove it, The more it seemed to settle in and the lower it became. When I took the torsion bars out they were one notch above center. So I took it one down to center, then another notch down to the recommended spot for off road use. It has been raining here for several days so when I can I will post a photo of it. I may have went one notch too far. See what you guy's think. The steering gear will be here Thursday. I will put that in it and ride, ride, ride. There will still be a few bugs to work out but nothing major. I think it was Lee that told me one time that once I get it to this point, The work was just beginning, because there would be more things and improvements that I would want to do on it. He was right. I have never had so much pleasure driving or rideing in a vehicle. I think next will be disc brakes. Front or rear? I don't know yet.