Lone Pine May 4-6, 2007

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
Gene-C

Lone Pine May 4-6, 2007

Post by Gene-C »

See ya' on the trail
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I'm in for Friday and Saturday ! See you all there !
jaymanx

Post by jaymanx »

Looks like we are going up Thursday night
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

We're going to try to go up after work on Thursday night. Not sure yet about staying till Monday.
manx1111pla

Post by manx1111pla »

We will be up there either wed. nite or thurs. morning staying till sun.
Gene-C

Lone Pine

Post by Gene-C »

Sharon & I will be coming up early Fri AM...1st timers...will probably stay thru Sunday...any helpful hints for 1st timers...we would prefer mountain cruising as opposed to Death Valley stuff cheers Mike
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Well since you asked... Winnie usually does 3 types of runs. A street run usually goes up to Whitney Portal (Or something similar). The Average Adventurer is a mostly off-road run that most anyone can make so long as you have a skid pan and a working e-brake (She will find 1 or 2 challenges to test your abilities though!) Then there is a heavy duty off-road run where you really challenge you and your buggy's abilities (usually at least one buggy and sometimes more gets broken during the run!). I have never been a desert person, but since getting our buggy, have become intrigued by what the desert has to offer in both it's drivability and beauty. :driving: The ONE thing you MUST remember though, on Saturday night after the run, look for the POTLUCK! :D Not put on by the club, but has become a regular part of these gatherings for a while. Just ask around as everyone is invited. Nothing formal, and you just have to bring a dish that would feed only the number of people you have in YOUR group (2, 4 people etc :eat: .). It's a great way to meet people, ask questions, and just have a great time. Usually 40 or 50 people show up. :drinking:
jaymanx

Lone Pine

Post by jaymanx »

Thanks Bill, see you Thursday night :clap:
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Too many things going on. Now it looks as if we will not be able to get there until LATE friday night. Will stay until monday, but wish we were going to be there for what ever friday run anyone puts on.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

So has anyone thought of a good theme for Saturday night's potluck yet?
Maroon Manx

Post by Maroon Manx »

You've got a couple of guys coming in from Texas. Greg Rardin and I will be coming in lateThursday night. Thanks to Gene C. for setting this up for us. I have been wanting to come out for a couple of years now. It will be interesting to see how different the buggies are on the West Coast. Looking forward to meeting everyone. See ya next week. David Head Manx Member #2290
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

David, we welcome you with open arms :drinking: ! Be sure to pack your camera so you can show everyone back home California's take on what makes for a good buggy. :D
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Looking forward to meeting you to Dave and Greg. Probally not much differences in the buggies except for Gene's Gadget which carry everything. Last week he used his wench to pull out a stuck 4x4 pickup that was stuck in the mud and sliding down the side of a mountain. We do like to play in the dirt and mud and the watercrossings. See you in Lone Pine.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Maroon Manx

Post by Maroon Manx »

Ask Gene about Texas water crossings. He knows all about them. :eek:
Maroon Manx

Las Vegas to Lone Pine

Post by Maroon Manx »

Greg and I will be flying into Las Vegas about 6pm Thursday evening. Anybody know the best way to get to Lone Pine from Vegas? Is it best to go south to Barstow and than north to Lone Pine? Or should we just cut across Death Valley Nat'l Park. (North to Beatty and than east to Lone Pine) Don't want anybody to have to go looking for my bleached bones. :crazy: Any thoughts? David