Lone Pine May 4-6, 2007

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I would go down to Barstow and cut over to Lone Pine. I think it will be easier driving. I put a call in to Greg so we will go over the runs etc. Everyone is excited your coming out and ready for a wild west show Melfol has some fun long runs planned in your honor so that you get the full experience.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

When Kathleen & I went to Lone Pine 2005, We flew into Vegas and drove across Death Valley. If you have some extra time to do a little sightseeing, I would recommend that route, it is very senic. We made a day out of it leaving early in the morning & making it to Lone Pine by 5:00. It was the most direct way. Most of the roads are 2 lanes, but high speed limits. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Still not sure when we will be able to go. As things are so up in the air, we are continuing to try for some time Thursday. Since Saturday falls on Cinco De Mayo, how about a FIESTA DE MARGARITAVILLE theme for the Saturday evening potluck :eat: . You can plan your meal accordingly if this is OK. Looking forward to meeting anyone new and swapping a few tall tales. :drinking:
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

[center][left][font=Comic Sans MS]HAY 5150bossman, How about :drinking: [/left] [/center] [center][font=Comic Sans MS]DRUNKATHON! [/center] [font=Comic Sans MS]

Post by 1856 »

Carol and I been to a lot of really great gourmet pot locks at many different buggy runs. We were just it one where the host roasted a whole pig there was also smoked salmon, the famous ?Lockford sausages?, fresh crab, yummy apple stuff and fresh strawberries and ice cream and more more more? The pot luck is always open to all that want to join in the food and fun. But don?t expect to receive any kind of formal invitation. Just bring what a have and expect to share in the fun. Mark
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

The Cinco de Mayo potluck sounds good. I'll see what I can bring to fit the theme. Tom of Redbuggy said he was attending Lone Pine and asked if he needed to bring all his food and drink. i told him about the Potluck.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

COOL! I can't wait to hear some of their stories. :D
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

WELL....guess WHAT.....not only did Frances & I get 1 invite to the potluck, but we got 2 personal invites.....from Mike (5150bossman) & Dale (MANX1111PLA)....if only MORE people from the rbc "elite" were as level headed & fair minded as these two gentlemen....this whole "scene" would play out a whole lot smoother!!! SO again...to Mike & Dale , a huge THANK YOU...you are both stand-up guys, and we really appreciate the consideration!!! :rock: Bill & Frances Schuster.....see ya' on the trail... :hello:
SQRTUBE

Lone Pine

Post by SQRTUBE »

We had a great time. Thanks to Winnie and Bruce for putting on a good time for all. :clap: Thanks to all the great chefs...... Delicious. Sorry your feeling bitter Old Manx. How long do you plan on grinding that ax ? Kind of a downer. :(
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

The RBC Potluck was great. It looked like all the Manx Club was there, including Bruce and and Tom with is Red Buggy. Bill must of found the sour grapes since he was there early and stayed late and no one else had any. The runs were great on Friday and Saturday, seen alot of the desert and some of it not since 1972. Seeing the Eureka Valley dunes brought back many memories of playing on them with sand buggies before they were close down because of a mutated dune grass that grows there. In Saline Valley I only remember one hot tub built at the hot springs, now there were more than a dozen there. Greg and David came out from Texas and rode with Gene and I both days. They really enjoyed the rides and meeting all the people in the club. Had a great time see you at the next one.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Maroon Manx

Post by Maroon Manx »

Well, Greg and I made it back to Texas safe and sound. We had a "GREAT" time in the high desert. Made a lot of new friends and had the chance to experience how the Dune Buggy was intended to be used. (off road) In Texas, almost all open land is privately owned. And so our Buggies have evolved into more a cruising or street buggy. Most of the guys in the Texas Manx Club would not dare attempt some of the routes we took this past weekend. I came home with a lot of good Video to show our club members. (they wouldn't believe me without the video) I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't been there. Friday I rode with Joseph on a 218 mile drive past Eureka Sand Dunes and down into Saline Valley. Saturday I had the chance to ride in the "HEAVY". (Gene's Buggy). I think we drove about 160 miles on some of the most challenging switch backs I have ever seen. I greatly appreciate the California hospitality. Thanks to Gene Condon for the invite. It wouldn't have crossed my mind to come if he hadn't asked. Thanks to Joseph for showing me that VW Dune Buggies are tougher than they look. Thanks to Mel and Paulette for leading they way and making Greg and I feel welcome. Thanks to Jimbo for the great Carna Asada. This was a trip of a lifetime for me. If any of "y'all" are ever in The Dallas area, look me up and I will take you on a very mild Buggy ride. All are invited to our 5th annual Buggy Blast in Salado Texas. Memorial Day weekend. We can't compete with your off road ability but you will see a lot of show quality daily drivers. Thanks again. David Head Maroon Manx
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

:eat: :eat: :eat: :eat:
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="SQRTUBE"] How long do you plan on grinding that ax ? ([/QUOTE] sqrtube.........as long as you keep dressing up as a girl & trying to pick up drunk Mexicans in TJ !!!!
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Had a great time. Our run on Friday up to Big Pine, then through Eureka Valley and Saline Valley ran around 220 miles :eek: . Saturday's run to the Racetrack ran around 158 miles. We saw some great sights and the Boys from Texas got a nice taste of what off-roading in a dunebuggy is like (they were grinning from ear to ear :D :D ). Sorry they missed out on Sunday's adventures playing through the Alabama Hills and up to Whitney Portal. Here is a link to some of our pics. http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album379
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Thankyou Ira for donating the hats and visors for the club to give away. I was out to late on a run Friday to get one, but thery sure looked nice.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970