Finally hit a milestone

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
Carltons

Finally hit a milestone

Post by Carltons »

Well for the first time in almost 40 years my buggy moved under its own power. I wired up the battery, ignition and alternator circuits and after realizing that it is totally possible to incorrectly wire every combination of four wires wrong. I fired it up. A minute and a half later a lifter loosened up and I had to perform a slight repair. Fired it up on Friday evening. and moved it out of the garage under its own power. Then came the bad judgment call. I cranked the steering wheel around and drove it to the end of the driveway (about 1/4 mile). Ohhhhh yea!!!. Mind you I dont have the hood, windshield on, and all the tools and battery and a rats nest of other wires are floating around in the tub.... I guess I forgot to tighten the lug nuts on the front left wheel so I had to take it for a second run after I tightened them up.... Had a bit of a problem keeping it straight. it want to get up and go... 1955 cc and no weight. Wow! Makes me think that I never want to drive my 69 stock bug again. Sure most of you have been there, but it was really a good feeling to get it actually moving with out pushing.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Sounds great. Congrats! I've done the same thing before, with the loose lug nuts. So have a few other people, from what I've heard.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Yup,, I forgot to tighten up the gearbox to frame-horn mounts once. Good luck with it Carlton,,, 40 years is a VERY long time to be pushing a buggy around,,, any pics?? :hello:
Carltons

Post by Carltons »

These are a little dated, but here is about where Im at. I should take the as driven configuration.... These were taken last summer this was my initial assembly and the motor shot was around x-mas Image Image Image
markmark

Post by markmark »

It's looking great! I think you have the most fun actually building the buggy.:cool:
fubar

Post by fubar »

Is the purple powder or lyquid? It looks nice!!
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="markmark"]It's looking great! I think you have the most fun actually building the buggy.:cool:[/QUOTE] Maybe thats why Carltons taken 40 years,,, he's just having a whole lotta fun :D I like the build up part myself,, many guys in UK are having their buggies built for them now days,, I just don't see the point :roll: Thanks for the pics Carlton,, keep up the good work,,, and keep those nuts n bolts tight!! :rock:
flaboyjim

Post by flaboyjim »

OK guys, keep it up.... I am at the three year mark and counting. I started with a trashed clone body and a 65 beater for a parts car.... Now I have a 68 Original Manx Body, Berrrien Chassis, 1835 in full powder coat tin and every other part is either new or re-built. It rolls, but only from my garage to the workshop and back. Is the fun in the build, or is it in the expectations of what we will have when finished? My house is finally getting fixed from the hurricanes two years ago. When that is finished (SOON I HOPE), the manx will go back to the garage to install the seats, the this, the that, and the dream continues..
Carltons

Post by Carltons »

The lighter is a simple dupont enamel. (Easy to fix over powder) The darker is house of color Shimerin Passion Purple.
Gary1719

Year

Post by Gary1719 »

What year is yours, looks just like my 68 i havent started on. gary 1719# IT IS LOOKINGGG GGOOODD!!!!!!!!!!
Carltons

Post by Carltons »

As far as the DMV is concerned, its a 1963 model 113 VW Sedan de Luxe.... Good eye. It has a 68 long swing axle. big 12 volter...