Redbuggy

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
CairoManx

Redbuggy

Post by CairoManx »

Tom McAlevey, the American adventurer who drove his fiberglass dune buggy from Sweden all the way to the southern tip of Africa (with no back up crew/support) is back in the states now. He's trying to sell the film he took along the way to The Discovery Channel. The story of his trip in 04/05 is on his website. Its an amazing story. http://www.redbuggy.com/index.php?p=home
ralphdjeeper

Post by ralphdjeeper »

CarioManx , thanks for posting this it was realy good,pictures,video,writing,although long,well worth seeing,will look forward to seeing the movie when he gets it on the air or in video form. ralphdjeeper
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

The part where he just sneaks past the border guards in the desert in southern Egypt and illegally enters Sudan is pretty amazing.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

GREAT STUFF!! :driving:
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I emailed with him last year after he finished the Africa trip. I said I thought what he had done was amazing. I said I'd like to see him ship the buggy to Argentina and come back up through the Americas, cross to Russia and complete a world circumnavigation. He wrote back that the idea appealed to him but he hadn't found a sponsor. Email him. I think he appreciates hearing fom other buggistas.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I just got a note from Tom McAlevey that said he is criss-crossing Mexico in his buggy now and would probably be in L.A. in a few weeks to edit his film of his Africa trip. He has been emailing Winnie and I hope he will have a chance to meet and visit Bruce at the Manx Club HQ. He said he might try to attend the Manx Club Lone Pine meet. He asked for other recommendations. I went through the calendars and sent him a list of all the bigger buggy/VW events coming up in Apr-Jun. I also recommended he visit Hot VWs magazine and maybe Motor Trend. He accomplished an amazing feat driving the length of Africa in a 1960s technology VW buggy with no support team. I think he'd be impressed seeing what's being built today. Are there any particularly amazing off-road shops that build high performance sand rails or racing buggies that someone can recommend, that would be good to visit/see.
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Well, there's always... McKenzie's in Anaheim Looks like they are moving (from 801 Orangethorpe Ave.), but to where???
Lee

Post by Lee »

Allen, Actually, 801 Orangethorpe is where they are moving TO. Right now, they are at 2366 E Orangethorpe. Rancho Transmissions is also moving further west! I have the new address at home if anyone needs it.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Does McKenzie's have buggies and racers being constructed in a shop you could see?
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

I believe the shop right next door (to their old place) had a bunch of stuff under construction, right out in the open, easy to see, and easy to talk to the builders (at least on the few trips I've been there). Lee's probably the expert, he'll know.
CairoManx

Redbuggy at Lone Pine

Post by CairoManx »

Just got an email from Tom McAlevey today. He's in Las Vegas and headed to L.A. next. He said he was thinking about going to Lone Pine on the way.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Tom & his "RED BUGGY" were at the Manx Club event in Lone pine this past weekend.....Tom is NOW a Manx Club member !!! :rock: