Side Pods

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
c66manx

Side Pods

Post by c66manx »

Hi All - I am finally working on Manxter #15. We are getting ready to install the side pods and wonder if anyone has a copy of the article that ECR posted on their old manxter2plus2 web site a couple of years ago. This was a very good article with pictures and tips about installing the sidepods. Unfortunately we bookmarked the page and didn't print it and now the web site in no longer. We did contact ECR and they don't have a copy either. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Cliff
Olli

Post by Olli »

Hi Cliff and welcome to the Forum! What style pods do you have? The old style or the new ducted ? Either way, have you tried installing them yet and if so what issues are you having and could you post pictures? I first had the old style which I installed in my mock assembly and I now have the new ducted style. So I have worked with both. Olli
c66manx

Post by c66manx »

I have the old style. No problems yet, I did hold them up and they will need some trimming, I just thought the article with the pics and might be helpful. Thanks, Cliff
Olli

Post by Olli »

Yes, they most likely will need some trimming. Are the rear corners of your pan cut off? What I found helpful to get them into place was to use a floor jack along with an approx. 24" long 2x4. I used that to hold the pod up tight to the pan. Olli
Complex One

Post by Complex One »

Cliff, Welcome and Merry Christmas. I too also have both the original and ducted sidepods. Currently have the original pods installed but will be installing the ducted pods later this winter. What I found with the original pods was that using a floor jack and 2x4, like Olli recommended, works best. You will also need to trim/cut in the access on the front of these pods for the side tubes in order for them to fit properly. The newer ducted sidepods actually have this forward tube relief molded into them but am not sure yet if they will also need to be trimmed a little or not as well in order to get the best fitment possible. Also, when positioning the pods up against the body you will also notice that with some additional trimming along the bottom where the pods meet the pan will also allow the sidepods to mount higher giving you a tighter seam front to back against the sidepods and body. I mounted my original pods with (2) bolts drilled through the sidepods and body at the front just under the dash and (2) bolts either side drilled through the rear pods and into the body just behind the (B) hoop. I also found threaded female couplers with the same threading as the body pan bolts that were just the right length that I threaded onto those bolts and then added a couple of extra short bolts and washer up from the bottom of the sidepods for some added mounting strength. Have never had any problems with the pods being mounted this way and hope this helps. I will check to see if I have any pictures of this part of the construction and if so will post them for you. Happy Holidays,