keeping the pedal cluster clean

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
90volts

keeping the pedal cluster clean

Post by 90volts »

is there a trick to it? i am quickly getting tired of taking several days to completely clean out the cluster after getting it caked with mud/dirt/sand. or is there a sealed version? i just have the stock early 70s cluster. thanks.
joemama

clean pedal cluster

Post by joemama »

I also run just the stock pedal cluster, and it gets plenty dirty and dusty, and occasionally the accelerator starts acting up a bit, but astrong return spring keeps it working must of the time. I attempt to keep it clean by using compressed air to blow it clean, and sometimes hose it down, I know it should be lubed, but it seemsto be very durable and able to put up with things the way they are.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

not mine. i guess i will look at the spring and maybe try lubing it abunch when its completely clean again. thanks.
markmark

Post by markmark »

I spray mine with a little bit of degreaser and hose it when needed. When it's dry I spray them with a can of lithium grease and work that into the joints.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

didn't even know it came in a spray can. cool- i'll pick some up and try it. thanks.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Make sure you use a dry lube.
Buggy-Bum-2

Post by Buggy-Bum-2 »

Mike, Just blow the cluster down with some compressed air [90 to 120 psi] and then spray the whole thing down with WD40. That is what the Buggy Bums do when we come back from the pines. Paul :hello:
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

WD-40 is actually a solvent that will remove the oils and greases from the bushings and cause them to wearout prematurely. You are far better off using a dry lubricant. I have used WD-40 as a hand cleaner and it works well if you can stand the smell. :D
markmark

Post by markmark »

[QUOTE="newmanx59"]Make sure you use a dry lube.[/QUOTE] Powdered graphite?
jlowery

Post by jlowery »

CRC makes an aerosol called Dry Moly Lube that goes on wet and drys leaving a film of lubricant that won't attract dirt, sand, etc. It works great on linkages and cables. Seems to keep the dirt and mud from sticking. Joe
Joe Lowery
Manx Club #776

Fibertech SWB
MGM LWB
Manxter DS #007
desbuggy

Post by desbuggy »

That sounds like one of the lubes that are used on motorcycle or bicycle chains. Good idea!