Dash support pics

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
markmark

Dash support pics

Post by markmark »

I'm about to make a dash support for my Manx clone.:help: Does anyone have some pictures or diagrams that I could use for making mine?? Thanks, Mark
90volts

Post by 90volts »

this is the berrien mount i am using.holds the wiring, steering column,wiper assy, stereo mounting. need a way to tie it into the windshield still. Image
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Here is a link to my gallery, there are quite a few pics of the Manx dash support. http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album224 I hope it helps,
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

If your dash is fiberglass and is bonded to the rear of your hood, your frame just needs to be a vertical bar mounted on each end of a horizontal tube. The steering column is clamped to the horizontal tube and the two vertical uprights connect the windshield and hood to the body. There should be 3 bolts through each upright; two bolts that pass through the windshield frame and the sides of the hood, and one bolt at the bottom that goes through the body. The vertical uprights need to be curved and bent to follow the contour of the of the inner sides of the hood and the body. I borrowed the pictures from newmanx59. The top picture shows a frame that Meyers used with the original plastic dash. It needed the angle across the top for more support. The lower picture shows the same frame after it has been modified to use with a fiberglass dash. Its just a cross tube and 2 vertical bars. Image Image
markmark

Post by markmark »

I have a fibreglass dash so the last picture looks like it would be most suitable for me. Thanks for the pics:clap:
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="markmark"]I have a fibreglass dash so the last picture looks like it would be most suitable for me. Thanks for the pics:clap:[/QUOTE] I stole the pictures from Jerry. If the hood and dash of your clone are the same as a Manx, the two bolt holes that hold the windshield should be drilled right on the seam where the dash and back of the hood meet. The vertical bars should run right up behind the seam. The bolt holes should be in the center of the bars(front to aft). As you can see in the two pictures, the vertical bars are kind of dog leg shaped. As they come down from the hood to the body, they bend inwards and forward. If I was going to fabricate a dash frame, first I'd make up the two side pieces and get them bolted into place, then I'd cut and trim a cross tube and tack weld it in place, right in the buggy. Then I'd remove it and finish weld it on the bench.
markmark

Post by markmark »

That sounds like a good way of doing it CairoManx. I'll give that a go and post my pics here.
tgodber

Post by tgodber »

Here is a picture of my dash support. The sides go down to pan and bolt thru pan. It is very solid. The windshield does not vibrate at all.
markmark

Post by markmark »

That looks like a really solid mount for the windscreen. I like it
Gary1719

Post by Gary1719 »

Hey I Like The Tilt Wheel!!!!!!!
tgodber

Post by tgodber »

We got it from pick and pull for $7. Its from a Chevette. It was good for the wiring as it has locking ignition, turn signals and dimmer. Works well.
Gary1719

tilt

Post by Gary1719 »

what if any thing did you have to do to get it to fit the buggy steering box? and how is the length? gary
tgodber

Post by tgodber »

The length was very close to what I needed. We cut the end off the Chevette column and found that the shaft was hollow. That worked out great as we had a piece of shafting and the mechanic at work welded the shafting in the hollow end. Used the milling machine to put a groove in shaft for the bolt where it clamps to the VW box. Very solid. In the picture you can see the weld where the shafting was attached to the Chevette column.