Nothing goes easy...

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
Don Giovanoni

Nothing goes easy...

Post by Don Giovanoni »

I am in the process of replacing the sloppy steering box in my Manx with a new TRW unit. The old one came out pretty easy and I am swapping the pitman arm and the cast piece that attaches to the steering coupler. I expected the pitman arm to be tough to remove but it came off pretty easy and slides on the new box with a nice fit. :x BUT the %$@* cast coupler just doesn't want to come off (yes, I removed the pinch bolt). I have been trying for a couple of days - pounding with a punch/hammer, soaking in Kroll, heating with a propane torch, cursing, pounding, etc. to no avail. Does anyone have any experience with removing this from the old steering box? I haven't been able to move it a millimeter, after 37 years it is really frozen on. Thanks,
towd-dude

Angry Nothing goes easy...

Post by towd-dude »

Don, Get a real torch and heat it cherry red. This has always worked for me. Bob
fubar

Post by fubar »

I agree , unless the propane torch is using an oxidizer it will not get hot enough. An air chizel with a blunt point might shake it loose too. Or buy a new clamp from the store.
Don Giovanoni

Got It!

Post by Don Giovanoni »

Multiple rounds of heat, Kroll, and pounding got it off. All it cost me was two second degree burns on my left hand. Mine was so nasty that I couldn't tell that the middle of the casting was really the top of the shaft. Once I got it off I realized that I could have used my large gear puller to get it off. Thanks for the response from everyone. Sometimes just the support helps out! :hello:
Lee

Post by Lee »

Don, Don't you just love a "simple" repair like that? I probably would have given up and found another piece. I'm glad it all worked out! You should be happy with the new TRW box. Mine has been doing fine for a couple years now. Lee Siggy Manx #29 Manx Club Member 1188
fubar

Post by fubar »

Between my old buggy,old truck,old boat, etc I get my share of battles with siezed items. Today I had to remove a propeller I squared of on a slightly below the surface log on Saturday. Now it is pretty much the normal thing for some part of every project to be extra difficult. Sometimes I get so upset that the project goes in the "penalty box" for a few days. My boat was in the "box " for just over two years. I could not find anyone who could or would work on a 1964 Mercruiser I/O for less than twice the vallue of the boat. It got down to selling it for salvage or risk working on it myself. Very rewarding to accomplish something that the "professionals" are affraid to touch.
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Fubar when a boat gets that old the are woth about the same as an a penny, not much, for one reason there are NO parts to fix it. noone makes aftermarket parts for them like cars.
fubar

Post by fubar »

I actually had more trouble finding parts to restore the buggy. Around here there are 6,652 marinas and only 2 buggy shops.