Cowboy in Africa Manx

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
CairoManx

Cowboy in Africa Manx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="ex FV"]Anyone remember "Cowboys In Africa"? the Chuck Conners tv show from the 60's. The opening credits were the best part...Manx blasting across the African plain, thru the African brush, down the African gulley...and suddenly in the air. I'm sure that African scenery would look more like California today![/QUOTE This is a page from the comic they put out about the Cowboy in Africa TV show. Image Image
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Yes I remember the show. Was quite young when it was on. With only one TV in the house you had to watch what the parents wanted to watch. Did not know there was a comic book on it.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Did he tell you the whole story about dealing with Chuck Connors?
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I heard this second hand, but the way I understand it happened was that, one day Chuck Connors shows up at the B. F. Meyers & Co. business and in a very chummy manner, proposes a deal to Bruce; if Meyers supplies buggies for Connor's new TV show, Chuck will ensure B.F. Meyers is included in the credits on the show. Bruce agrees and they make up (I think 3) identical "Bush Buggies". When the buggies are ready, Bruce himself takes them to Connor's home. A servant answers the door. Bruce tells the servant who he is and what he's there for. The servant leaves Bruce at the door and goes to confer with Connors. The servant returns with a message for Bruce, "Just leave them in the driveway". The show ran for one season (26 episodes, Sep 67-Apr 68)and the "Bush Buggy" was regularly used and even featured in some episodes. Whenever they tore up the buggies during filming(frequently), they called Meyers to come repair them. Meyers never received any on screen credit. When the show ended Bruce went to collect the buggies. This time Chuck Connors came out to talk to Bruce and tell him that the deal was he got to personally keep a buggy. I believe Bruce let Chuck know that no, he didn't get to keep a buggy and also Meyers had never received screen credit as promised and that he was taking his buggies back.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="jsturtlebuggy"]Yes I remember the show. Was quite young when it was on. With only one TV in the house you had to watch what the parents wanted to watch. Did not know there was a comic book on it.[/QUOTE] Joe, There's a copy on ebay now. I've only seen this one issue. Nelson Image http://cgi.ebay.com/COWBOYS-IN-AFRICA-COMIC-Chuck-Connors-VG_W0QQitemZ110025149348QQihZ001QQcategoryZ82486QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="CairoManx"]I heard this second hand, but the way I understand it happened was that, one day Chuck Connors shows up at the B. F. Meyers & Co. business and in a very chummy manner, proposes a deal to Bruce; if Meyers supplies buggies for Connor's new TV show, Chuck will ensure B.F. Meyers is included in the credits on the show. Bruce agrees and they make up (I think 3) identical "Bush Buggies". When the buggies are ready, Bruce himself takes them to Connor's home. A servant answers the door. Bruce tells the servant who he is and what he's there for. The servant leaves Bruce at the door and goes to confer with Connors. The servant returns with a message for Bruce, "Just leave them in the driveway". The show ran for one season (26 episodes, Sep 67-Apr 68)and the "Bush Buggy" was regularly used and even featured in some episodes. Whenever they tore up the buggies during filming(frequently), they called Meyers to come repair them. Meyers never received any on screen credit. When the show ended Bruce went to collect the buggies. This time Chuck Connors came out to talk to Bruce and tell him that the deal was he got to personally keep a buggy. I believe Bruce let Chuck know that no, he didn't get to keep a buggy and also Meyers had never received screen credit as promised and that he was taking his buggies back.[/QUOTE] What a great story :cool: FAO any UK guys on here,,, did they run this on TV here??? can't remember it,,,,maybe Im too young. I remember Chuck in the Rifle Man though.
ralphdjeeper

Cowboy?

Post by ralphdjeeper »

I happen to be in Bruces old shop crating Manxs when Chuck Conners came into to Bruces shop, i did not meet him but saw him talking to Bruce, i ask Bruce about the show and the meeting while up to the Big Bear Run 7/8/06 , i do remember and had watched the show while it was on tv every week just to see the Manxs because of crating the cars for Bruce and makeing the back seats,plywood parts for the Manxs and all the copy cat cars for Ted Trevor at Teds Aircraft interiors buy the Orange County Airport, at the time i wished i would have gotten to talk to him but after talking to Bruce at Big Bear i am glad i missed it. Bruce Would never talk bad about anyone and did not say much then, only that he was a jerk, enough said, if what was said above posting is true i would agree and second the jerk part. P.S. he might have played a Cowboy but did not act like one and should have worn a (BLACK HAT) it would have fit him better. ralphdjeeper
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Crate Man, Looks like you got the comic. It ought to make a nice addition to your Manx memorabilia collection. Your first hand account of seeing Chuck Connors at B.F. Meyers is very cool.
ralphdjeeper

Black Hatted Cowboy

Post by ralphdjeeper »

Thanks for putting me on to the comic it went for $ 13.68 not bad for a first addition of anything or nothing, depends on how you look at it. i thought i might get Bruce to Sign it for me and Add (JERK) above the Cowboys on the Cover it would increase the Price for (sure) , anyway i did not even know they made a comic and am now wondering how many they printed and sold or if they got to volum # 2 ? Dont think so. thanks again ralphdjeeper
ralphdjeeper

Black Hatted CowBoy Signed

Post by ralphdjeeper »

Hi All just thought you might enjoy seeing my New Comic after i asked Bruce to sign it up at the Bishop Buggy Run, ( I like it Better Now!) thanks Crate/Man.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="ralphdjeeper"]Hi All just thought you might enjoy seeing my New Comic after i asked Bruce to sign it up at the Bishop Buggy Run, ( I like it Better Now!) thanks Crate/Man.[/QUOTE] :D I like it :D