Which speedometer?

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
garthom

Which speedometer?

Post by garthom »

I'm shopping around for a speedometer. Mechanical? Electric VDO? Stock Super beetle, '74-too big? any opinions? Also, are rubber bushings in Windshield wiper holes necessary? Thanks, Gary
Lee

Post by Lee »

I have the VDO electronic speedo with a hall effect sensor that works off the stock cable from the left front spindle. You program it with a GPS (you just have to drive one mile with the speedo in program mode). It doesn't interfere with the wiper assembly. It also doesn't read when the ignition is off, so if you flat tow the buggy, it doesn't record the miles. It also matches all the other VDO gauges I have. Image Having said all that, if you are going for the classic look, the Bug speedos from the sixties fit in real well!
vincent9993

Similar to Lee

Post by vincent9993 »

I'm currently in the process of redoing my dash cluster and all my wireing. I must have spent over 200 hours just soldering all the connectors. I went with the Royale Classic series. As you can see, it's still not in the dash. Still trying to buildup the nerve to drill the dash, I've gone through 2 plexiglas trials now. I can't say for sure what the final result is going to look like in the dash but from my trials on the plexiglass, I like may layout. On a seperate note, I wes trying to locate some LEDs for the 3 lights (High beams, Oil, Alternator) Still have not found what I want.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

That doesn't look like it will fit in a Manx dash. As far as "idiot" lights are concerned, I used very small LED's that just slip into holes I drilled in the dash. The LED's are not even noticable until they come on, they are very bright. Image
vincent9993

It should fit...

Post by vincent9993 »

Unless I've screwed up, it should fit nicely. Image I can even fit the whole cluster inside the dash from the inside. I set it in place to get all my wireing done.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
90volts

Post by 90volts »

i went with all new black faced- through lit vdo guages in 2 1/16" so they wouldn't overpower the dash.even the tach. but i am sticking with the stock speedo. i think its a really nice looking well designed piece. I am thinking of sending out for a refurb over the winter to spruce it up, that's all.