It was more spontaneous then planned â?¦

Trip tales and travel stories from around the globe. Share your adventure!

Post by 1856 »

Although we’ve been talking about this for several years … we never thought this “A2B2A” outing would take place on the hottest day of the year, so far.

Carol and I dropped the trailer and buggy off Thursday at Camp Condon on our way through to Capital City. It started the following night … Carol and I returned to Camp Condon after the days work in Sacramento. When we arrived we were greeted by Ken, Angie and Doc their black lab. A few hours later Gene motored in with The Gadget Buggy being flat towed behind his ruby colored pick up. After few well sorted greetings we headed off to a nearby Dinner House that over looked the vistas of the Clear Lake. Food was great and the majestic sunset was a perfect setting for planning the next days outing.

The plan was to be up before the sun and under way before the morning shadows. Morning came before any of us were ready … as per plan we stumbled around in the dark packing the buggies ...

This is the beginning of A2B,

We rounded the western edges of the Clear Lake enroute to Safeway for coffee and sandwiches. The distant mountains were emerging to shadows where shapes began gaining prominence on surrounding mountains … Heading north through Upper Lake leaving Lake County to the assent of almost endless series of switch backs that we used as a single track in the early morning light. Arrival at Lake Pillsbury in the Mendocino National Forest that was drop off point for this day’s adventure through four Counties, of (DUSTY) back roads, in the Northern California Mountains. The day’s destination is 2B a cabin on the banks of the Eel River in Humboldt County a 180 mile away

MAP

We’ll add Pics and more dialogue soon.
Last edited by 1856 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

We talked about doing this run for years
and finally we did it
180 miles of dirt and back roads

We climbed to the Summit of 7500+ feet and took a break
A great climb with a panaramic view

Kenny broke a  clutch cable and we fixed at the summit

We had started at 6am trying to beat the heat but at the 90 mile mark we took a well needed cool down stop

The last 30 miles of the 180 we just hot and tiring
I stopped and saw that I had split an axle boot but with so little to go and so hot I limped in
we made it 
we went over to Mark's so  I can fix an axle boot and then out to dinner
No problem sleeping that night
We got up early and had a beautiful scenic drive down the coast back to Kelseyville
What a nice run
a long one but it is the therapy we needed
Last edited by Gene-C on Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
louisb

Post by louisb »

Wow, that skyline view is gorgeous.

--louis