Big Bear 2011

Trip tales and travel stories from around the globe. Share your adventure!
jsturtlebuggy

Big Bear 2011

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Big Bear was great this year.  There was 113 buggies with 5 different runs to go on. 
Congratulation to Tom Szwajkos for winning Best of Show with his beautiful Red Corvair powered Manx.
I went on the Road Trip To ArrowHead Lake lead by Rod Walter in his HotWheels buggy.  We started out with 13 buggies and had one drop out after a couple of miles.  Never did find out why they turned back. We had our lunch stop at busy tourist location where you sat high on a deck which had a good view of the lake and all the boats.  During the run on the mountain road we made a stop at the town of ArrowBear for ice cream.
It was fun and  I was able to see a part of California I had never been to before.ImageImageImage
I did get a chance to look at Doran's Tow'd with the Laid Down Reduction Box connect to IRS CV Joint setup (no picture).  It looks very interesting and has no hop when Ray was driving it and getting on the gas. 
I think there were 5 Tow'ds that went on runs and a total of 7 of them showed up for at Camp Tanda.  Most Tow'ds I have seen in one place.
Last edited by jsturtlebuggy on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Lee-Hoffer

Big Bear 2011

Post by Lee-Hoffer »

Great pics, Joseph. Glad to hear it was another successful run. I couldn't make it because the front end of my buggy was still way out of alignment and I'm also working through some ignition problems. Didn't want to break down halfway up the mountain! Maybe next time I'll have my act together and I can join in on the fun!
myspeedbuggie

Big Bear 2011

Post by myspeedbuggie »

This year Manx club Big bear event was smooth for us!

The buggy run great. 

Thanks Doran for leading the red group of around twenty buggies

Buggy Bob ,  did a nice job on the driver meeting.

I liked the set up for the show and shine.. all the buggies in one area.
Fun times for sure! ! 
Can’t wait for next year!! 

Rob

all my pix  http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/Myspeedbuggie/manx%20club%20Big%20Bear%202011/?albumview=slideshow
DIESELDOOG

Big Bear 2011

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Rob,

Very nice photos.

Joe
louisb

Big Bear 2011

Post by louisb »

About time someone posted some more pics from Big Bear.

--louis
dcamomanx

Big Bear 2011

Post by dcamomanx »

I had a great time.

I got to lead the red group through Holcomb Valley. We went on a few different areas then before, and I was glad to see that they are starting to open up some of the old trails that were closed due to fires. Our group had 27 buggies. The Tow'd race # is 27. Coincidence or what? Our group was great. I think Bob Hunter had the best time playing in the mud holes. Check out Jon Carlson's you tube video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYgoOpNkBvE[/youtube]

We did have a few break downs. A loose shifter and a lower ball joint that popped out of its socket. The shifter just need to be tightened and adj. The ball joint was popped back into its socket held in place with a  hose clamp and some rope. The fix held and the buggy drove back to camp with no problems. 
On sunday I took the group on skyline drive but found a different way down the mountain back to camp.

Doran 
thesandbug77

Big Bear 2011

Post by thesandbug77 »

wish i could have been there doran, glad you had a blast as always.  maybe next year in the 4Runner! Image

hope you and the rest of the clan are all doing well.

md
~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Mike
Ed-Chenal

Big Bear 2011

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Here are a few more Big Bear Photos and a repair or two on the trail.

Camp Tanda.

Taking a break along the trail.

Fixing a loose shifter and coupler.

Electric scissors jack to the rescue.

Forcing a lower ball joint back together after it popped out.

Who said they could only be used for hoses?

This temporary fix allowed Steve to drive back to camp.

Ed
Lee-Hoffer

Big Bear 2011

Post by Lee-Hoffer »

Ed,

Thanks for posting those great pics.  I was wanting to see how you guys repaired the separated ball joint.  Looks like an excellent job (which is obviously was, since he made it back to camp).  This is yet another example of why we need to add stops to the ball joint front end if it's taken off the pavement.
jsturtlebuggy

Big Bear 2011

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I think the ball joints where the original ones when he built the Manx way back in time, After talking to him Sunday morning. It is a genuine Meyers Manx from the late 60s.

There is a tool you can make (pictures of it in Bentley VW manual) that is use to check and helps with spreading arms when replacing ball joints.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Lee-Hoffer

Big Bear 2011

Post by Lee-Hoffer »

It's amazing they lasted as long as they did.  I think it's awsome how you guys were able to repair it enough to get moving again.  I already replaced the ball joints on my Manx, and they had less than 40,000 miles on them.  The boots were torn, and I could detect play.  No doubt the originals from VW were of higher quality.  Luckily, I was able to borrow the tool that lets you press the old ones out and the new ones in without removing the arms from the car.  In hindsight, I should have removed the arms from the car, as I would have discovered the bad needle bearings and bushings that way!  I'll check out the tool you described.  It would be nice to have a better way to check the condition of the ball joints.
manxvair

Big Bear 2011

Post by manxvair »

Hey Lee do you have any info on that tool you used? it might be handy for us ball joint guys in the future.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
Tom-Kathleen

Big Bear 2011

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

The way I found a bad ball joint on Kathleen's Manxter was to raise the front end off the ground and yank on the wheel.  It felt like a loose wheel bearing, but after adjusting them, there was play between the spindle & trailing arm.  We put in a set off too stiff Meyle ball joints that made the car practically undriveable.  This was done just before the Mammoth Lakes event last year.  Over the winter, I replaced them with TRW brand ball joints, and the car is fixed.  One other great improvement was to add 1" of backspace to the front wheels.  They were 16 X 7 with 4" of backspacing.  The 5" backspacing makes the car steer much better at low speeds.  Another bonus is that the tires are now almoust completely under the front fenders and I was able to reduce the turning circle a little also.  Live & learn.  Tom
Last edited by Tom-Kathleen on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
Ed-Chenal

Big Bear 2011

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Thanks for the information Tom...
Ed
Lee-Hoffer

Big Bear 2011

Post by Lee-Hoffer »

"Hey Lee do you have any info on that tool you used? it might be handy for us ball joint guys in the future."

It's an actual VW tool made specifically for that purpose.  Here's a pic:

The dies included with the tool are used for pressing the old joints out as well as pressing the new ones in.  There were more dies than I needed, so I think it works on Bus ball joints as well. 

You put the correct dies in place, put the tool on the arm, and use an impact gun to tighten the screw.

I hate to use a cliche, but I borrowed the tool from an old German mechanic who is very possessive about it.  I understand Harbor Freight has a similar tool that might work.  It's really nothing more than a press that fits perfectly on the arm, so one could be made locally without too much trouble.  The tricky part is the threaded section which has a fine thread, but has been hardened to the point where it's nearly bullet proof.  If you happen to come across a tool like the one in the picture, grab it!  They are rare.