2011 --- The Manx Club at the Carlisle Import / Kit Car Show

Trip tales and travel stories from around the globe. Share your adventure!
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Today started out being a bit on the cool side and cloudy with some light rain. Slow day here at the show.

Lots of setup going on, however, Bruce did get some mike time in the Manx Club tent this afternoon.

Shortly before Bruce's session there was a major break in the clouds and sun came out.

Several buggies started to arrive.

Video of part of the trip to Gettysburg Battlefield on Saturdy:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rdy63sVqjI[/youtube]

Last edited by DIESELDOOG on Wed May 25, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Oh my God, where should we start? This morning the sun was present and the temperature was so nice. After a pit stop at the gas station, we went to the show. It was great to see our friends back and it’s always as surprising to see people start talking to us by saying “Hello Vince and France”….they know us but not the other way around (this is due of the The Samba forum). We asked Bruce to sign the picture of the 108 dune buggy that we took at the Big Bear Bash in 2009. We also asked Winnie and Brune if we could (in a safety mode) do a pit stop through Mexico next year when we will go back to California and we should have two or three places. We also talked with Tom (from Tijuana Kustoms) for the fabrication of another roof and it is why we will pass by his shop Monday on our way back.

At the beginning of the afternoon, we listened to Bruce’s speech…it is always pleasant to listen to him…a real model for all of us. After that, it was the official picture of the 22 Dune Buggy (less than last year, but this is probably because of the poor weather of the last days who was not better than in Quebec.) For the ride, we were 16 dune buggies and 1 beetle…it was just FANTASTIC. To see all of us, one behind each other, with all those different colors and the sun…what could we ask more? At the end of the ride, we left the group just a little bit before the end to go directly to the hotel to take a shower. Oh surprise! We never made it to the hotel. The Dune started acting up.

Vincent turned into the first parking available and guess what? It was the parking of an Autopart store. We were trying to find where the problem was. Fuses? Out of Gas? Idle jet dirty? Finally the diagnostic was the gas pump and the fuse of the gas pump (which blew when testing the pump with the test light). We now had to replace it and thank god Vince had a spare one in the trunk. I told him: Don’t worry I will go to the restaurant, it is only 2 minutes walking distance and told them that we might not be able to join them. When I came back oh surprise Vincent was not alone. John, Keith and Tom (from Tijuana Kustoms) were with him…Tom kept filming everything (and laugh), Keith was taking pictures and John was there for moral support. The three of them mucked Vincent with the complexity on how he installed all the pieces (not really accessible). They were mucking him and Vincent was almost only laughing (and he has so hot). Few minutes later, Vince and Rob arrived with the emergency kit. Wow, nice friendly relationship between the guys. By having everything on video, Vincent has not finished being teased by everyone. Finally, everything was fixed and the guys stayed with us until the end. Wow, you may not know how much we are graceful, we loved you already but now it is even stronger…you are way too much guys.

During the dinner we were talking to see how we could be joining the gang to North Carolina in October….we will really do our best to be there with them.

Again thank you Keith, John, Tom, Vince and Rod and all the others who were waiting for us at the restaurant…you are really great people and we are blessed to be your friends.

Vincent et/and France

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

France & Vincent,
Thank you so much for sharing your story and pictures with all of us. 
I really enjoy reading about your adventures of driving your buggy around Canada and the USA. 
It was great meeting you at Big Bear.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Small day today. After putting everything back in its place in the dune buggy, we left for the show around 9:15. It really a quiet day as everyone is busy packing up to head back home. The Americans are not off tomorrow. We took the opportunity to talk with Winnie, Bruce, Rod, John, Keith, Tom, Chris, Adam, Kathleen and Tom. Naturally, yesterday’s incident was still a subject of discussion. The weather was iffy but when the sun came out, it was really hot. Small anecdote, Kathleen and Tom are giving Winnie and Bruce a ride but the problem is that their truck only has 2 seats. We don’t not know who ended up ridding in Kathleen’s buggy in the back of the truck…

Early afternoon we retired back to the hotel, Vincent took the advantage to reconnect a wire for the GPS (see pictures). It probably got disconnected during last night’s repairs. Tom (Tijuana Kustom) can probably confirm that by looking at his video footage, hi hi hi. The remaining of the afternoon was very quiet. For diner, we drove to the Olive Garden in Mechanicsburg. Back to the hotel around 8:00pm and got everything ready for the drive home tomorrow.

Vincent & France

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

I know Kathleen & I had a great time, and it seems like everyone else did too.  Here is the group shot of the buggies on the hill before the cruise.  It looks like we had 24 buggies this year.  If anyone wants a full size copy of this, PM me with your e-mail and I will send it to you.  Tom

Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Looks like a good turn out and alot of fun with all the buggies in the pictures.
Thank you all for sharing.
I was suprised to see a very good looking Tow'd without fenders being used on the streets there.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Sometimes Bruce gets asked to sign the "coolest" stuff.  Sorry Rod, I couldn't resist.  Tom

Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Quick video of part of the cruise.? I did not spend nearly enough time editing it but it still brings back good memories.
Enjoy.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEdftETyvpc[/youtube]
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

The August 2011 issue of Kit Car Builder Magazine has coverage of the 2011 Carlisle Import & Kit Car Show.  If you were at the dune buggy group photo shoot on the hill, you're in the magazine!  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT