Manx 2 Alaska 2016

Trip tales and travel stories from around the globe. Share your adventure!
Tom-Kathleen

Re: Manx 2 Alaska 2016

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Great fix. Yes you were lucky you didn't bend the valve like we did in 2007 coming back from Big Bear. I also hope you took a couple more springs from the donor head in case another spring broke. Tom
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

vincent9993 wrote: We located a nylon rope on the walls of the tire shop and proceeded to feed it in the the cylinder.
Ok, I'll play the "Village Idiot" and ask the question(s) about the rope since I don't have a clue what/how it was used. When you say it was "feed into the cylinder" do you mean it was just piled into the cylinder to fill the void between the top of the piston and the cylinder, thus putting pressure on the valve to hold it in place?

Thanks.
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

That's exactly right Bud, as you compress the spring, we need a way to hold the valve closed to install the keepers. Inserting about 12' of rope and turning the crank to compress the rope between the piston and valve allows for the valve to stay shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

That's exactly right Bud, as you compress the spring, we need a way to hold the valve closed to install the keepers. Inserting about 12' of rope and turning the crank to compress the rope between the piston and valve allows for the valve to stay shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
joescoolcustoms

Post by joescoolcustoms »

Thanks for taking the pictures Vincent! For some reason I was to distracted to do that.

For future reference, the Spring that fit both the cut valve guide boss and the Chromoly Retainer was from a Ford 300 6 cylinder. Ford used a Bee Hive style spring that has a ID of 0.850 inch on one end that fit perfectly over the valve guide boss and the other end had a ID of 0.950 inch that fit perfectly in the aftermarket retainer.

After Tom and Kathleen's experience bending a valve when their spring broke, I normally changed springs before every cross country trip, as insurance. Because I found a cracked case and rebuilt the engine into a new case just days before leaving to Alaska, i did not take the time to put new springs on this engine. (I run a Engle FK7 camshaft with 0.500 inch lift cam with 1.4 ratio rockers that really stresses springs)

Here is a single Hi-rev spring on the right, and a Ford 300 6 spring on the left. You can see the smaller end of the Ford spring.

This photo is the other end of the Ford spring, the larger end on the left.

This picture is a side-by-side with the Ford on the left. The smaller end of the Bee Hive to the top.

For not bending the valve head, when I built this 2165 cc engine several years ago, I grabbed one of my used sets of Wisco Racing Pistons that I had Brothers Machine in CA cut valve reliefs into for the 0.690 inch lift race cam I was running. So, the valve did not hit the piston on the tip edge, but flatly on it's face. To check to see if it was bent, after I pulled the rockers off, I looked side ways to see if the valve was lower in the head than the other 3, which it is not.

Here is a picture on one of my new racing sets that will go into a 2276 cc engine for my Tow'd. You can see the valve relief pockets cut into them. (A side note, these pockets are a total of 2.8 cc's for figuring the compression ratio)

And yes Tom, I did take a few extra springs off of that Ford head.

One thing that I believe helped us be successful as a group when this happened is the diversity of the knowledge we have, the ability of all of us to not accept that this was "done" and throw in the towel. None of us got excited or panicked, (I think I did not get excited, but Jon, Paul and Vincent would be better commenters on that). And we kept on until we got it.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Incredible story, even more incredible roadside repair! this is what makes buggy life even more exciting!
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Great to know that the cuts in the piston top saved the valve from bending. We had the normal flat top pistons. And your fix was true MacGyver! Tom
hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

Compared to this crew MacGyver was a rookie who could take lessons here.....

Good job guys, makes reading the daily dispatches more exciting!

Vincent:
Can we expect similar daily progress reports from France on the Key West trip?
Seems only fair that she carry her weight, you are saddled with the driving! :lol:

(France... I hope you know I am kidding, no way Vincent would ever get through a trip like this without your assistance, planning, and guidance!)
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Wow! I did follow along as you guys traveled, but since I've finished up all my projects at my current job, and am just waiting out the week, I just went through and re-read the entire trip again.

I'm amazed at how beautiful everything is, and how wonderful the adventure had to have been.

I'm hoping that within the next couple of years, I'll be settled into a routine with my new company, and can hoard the time off to make a run like this. I guess I'll focus on just my Long Haul Pin first.

France, I'm sure my inbox for Calendar pictures will be blown up again this year, but I'm looking forward to that!
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
joescoolcustoms

Brian, I think I may have one or two possible pictures too.
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

joescoolcustoms wrote:Brian, I think I may have one or two possible pictures too.
I'm counting on it! Thanks for posting about the valve reliefs in the pistons. That's a great idea.
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

joescoolcustoms wrote:Brian, I think I may have one or two possible pictures too.
Joe, I think you should submit this picture for the calendar:
joescoolcustoms

vincent9993 wrote:
That is my hands holding the broken spring. I think Vincent took the picture, so, he would need to submit it for the "Manx Club Failure Calendar."
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

joescoolcustoms wrote:
vincent9993 wrote:
That is my hands holding the broken spring. I think Vincent took the picture, so, he would need to submit it for the "Manx Club Failure Calendar."
We may have to make some new submission guidelines! A couple are on the way already, but this picture makes me consider more.
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436