Calico Tire Torture 101, Extreme run, March 2010

Trip tales and travel stories from around the globe. Share your adventure!
MELFOL

Post by MELFOL »

The Calico extreme run did Odessa Canyon.  The run is not long but the terrain is somewhat difficult.  These pictures are from both the pre-run by a few buggies to see if the canyon was passable,  and the actual run. We experienced no significant breakdowns but everyone got a scratch or two, a few dents in the pan, and "tortured" tires. The actual run started in the sharp up and down of mud hills where you can't see how bad the drop is until after you crest the narrow top and are committed to the sharp downhill.  Next we traversed to old eroded mine roads that lead to a pass over to Odessa Canyon. And finally down the narrow gorge with tall walls.  Rain threatened part of the day, but held off until we were all back safely. If there had been rain we probably would not have attemped Odessa Canyon.  The rocks were slick enough without being wet. Here are a few pictures of the run. ImageI took this picture after we exited the canyon.  You can tell a bit about the run from the patterns on the tire.

Our suspension got a workout.  I had a shock absorber start leaking on the prerun. By the time we got to the bottom of the canyon the shock was dry and groaning.

The pattern was to navigate the rough stretches if you could, park your buggy, and walk back to either record the difficulty on camera or help get a buggy unstuck.
Signs of distress. After the pre-run we made skid pans mandatory for the actual run.  This oil was leaked by one of the buggies while it was stuck.  Fortunately it was because the buggy was off kilter and not a cracked case.

The actual run is stretches of fairly level stream bed followed by periodic "waterfalls."

Rims were in danger of getting scored and bent.

Note the black on the rock left by tires.

Again, note the tire molecules left EVERYWHERE on rocks.

In the twists and turns up against rocks on aired-down tires one lost pressure, probably due to side stress on the bead. After airing it back held up it held pressure. Image
The line of buggies waiting for everyone to get through at the bottom of a rough stretch.

Gettin a little three point air was common.

Suspension got a workout. 

Looking forward to next year... Sorta.

Last edited by MELFOL on Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Yeah Mel it was a tire torture test as I found out later on the way home
But a great run
I loved the challenges

But the views and terrain getting there was just as goodImage

the narrow walls kept me thinking of what would happen with a flash flood

MELFOL

Post by MELFOL »

Wow Gene. I don't even see a remnant of that tire left on the rim! But I'm looking into the glare of the sun.
Old-Towd

Post by Old-Towd »

What a run thanks for the photos -
Jay - We Sacrifice Quality So You Can Save
1969 Sand Rover T pickup
1962 Baja / 1986 CT110 Honda Trailbike
1973 Thing / Yorba Linda,Ca.
MC 2693, RBC, DSB, SoCalBajas, hondatrailcts, BurroBuggies