M2A 2011 - Montreal to Alaska with our Dune Buggy

Trip tales and travel stories from around the globe. Share your adventure!
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Today we decided to sleep in a little more and we woke up at 8:00am, the sun was there although discrete. We had breakfast in a restaurant in the village. After that, we came back to the hotel as it started to rain, we decided to put our rain coats and pants and explore the beautiful park.

First destination; Maligne Lake. On the road, we saw a black bear…okay he was a little far but at least we saw it. When we arrived to the lake, the rain stopped and we took this opportunity to take few pictures. On the road to go on the Maligne Lake, we climbed to 5627 feet (1715 meters). On our way back, we saw a few other animals…for you to discover them by looking pictures 3999, 4080 and 4111. Back to the village to put gas into the dune. We continued to see other places of the park…this time we went to the Athabasca Falls. Wow…it is really impressive. After, we went back to the hotel for a little nap before dinner.

We walked to the village for dinner. It was raining a little bit, but at the same time, the sun came out to see us again…the day finished like it started, with a discrete sun.

We are going back on the road tomorrow, direction Prince George. We would like to wish a great St-Jean Baptiste to all the Quebecers and do not forget, if you drink, don’t drive.

Talk to you soon.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Jasper is a beautiful place. Your pictures bring back memories of a trip from twenty years ago.

It was done in a Volvo Station Wagon, not a buggy.

You look like you might be having too much fun.
Ed
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Easy day today. We left Jasper around 10:00 under grey skies. It was very windy on the road to Prince George. The motor was really water cooled today, no issues with its temperature. There was a bit of construction, but thanks to the rain, the Dune Buggy was not too dirty. We now have 3 hour difference with Quebec... but the temperature is the same, wet. Vincent is happy since the Dune Buggy is sleeping inside tonight. We took the opportunity to relaxed this afternoon (we arrived at the hotel around 2:00pm) For dinner, we went to the restaurent around the corner called Cimo, good food.

Total for today: 392 km (243.6 milles)

Tomorrow we leave Prince George for Stewart... Right next to Hyder - Alaska, will we make it witout any issues? We'll know tomorrow.

Good week-end to everyone.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYYCprbvGcQ[/youtube]
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Managed to connect to the visitor center's AP and upload the pictures via satellite.

Here's France's update

We left Prince George at around 5:30am this morning. The sun was trying to be present but it was only 10 degrees (50 Fahrenheit) so we kept the roof. We could say that the day was split in two, the first half was rainy…too bad because the road was really nice but it was impossible to take pictures. Just after, the rain stopped and we could say that the sun came to say hello. Sometime on the road, to help to kill the time, we took some funny pictures…like #4279, did you see us? Further on the road, we saw a bear with his/her baby crossing just in front of us…again the bears were faster than the photographer, but you will be able to see them on #4296. For sure there were other bears if we count the number of bear poop in the middle and on the side of the road, we could confirm this.

We can now say that the three attractions on picture 4292 are done. The bear glacier is so wonderful. To have the dune buggy in front of the glacier is for us an accomplishment. The glacier is in Canada and not in Alaska like I thought. We arrived at the guesthouse around 3:00pm. We had a problem opening the door but after several tentative, we were able to go in. Ok, the princess that I am didn’t really like the apartment. It is really rustic, but at least it’s clean. We unloaded the dune buggy and just after, we went to accomplish our ultimate goal, go to Alaska. You can see on picture 4428 that we made it to Alaska without any problems…hurray all. Tom (from TJ Kustoms, where you can buy really good stuff for your dune buggy), you could take back the “E D” that you gave to us in case of…we will keep for the remaining of our trip the “Alaska or bust.”, no E D at the end.

What can we say about Hyder…we cannot even call it a town…I am ready to say that Fasset in Outaouais is much nicer than Hyder…and that means a lot. The picture 4427 describes really well the status of Hyder…phantom town. Back to the apartment, I told Vincent that I really don’t know what we will do an entire day here…so not looking at costs, we reserved an extra night at Prince Rupert and we will leave tomorrow morning instead of Monday morning…I really don’t care about losing the money of one night…I am really not comfortable here…one night will be more than enough. This place is not bothering Vincent at all, like he said: “he spent 6 years sleeping in the woods”. Me, I am really a “luxury gal” and I need something less rustic.

For the dinner, we went to the only restaurant (I think) who seems to be okay. I ate lobster and crab and it was delicious. To give you an idea of the downtown of Stewart, look pictures 4431 and 4441. Tomorrow before we leave, we will try to go back to Hyder and take more pictures to show you what we mean by a phantom town.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Thanks for the pictures.  Bears seem to be plentiful.

In going back to your early pictures, I was impressed with all of the clothes and gear you managed to pack but I didn't see any tools or spare parts. 

Last edited by Ed-Chenal on Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Ed Chenal wrote:Thanks for the pictures.  Bears seem to be plentiful.

In going back to your early pictures, I was impressed with all of the clothes and gear you managed to pack but I didn't see any tools or spare parts. 

Thanks, yes we do carry tools and spares:
Buggy Parts

Spark plug
plug wire set
Fan belt
Distributor
Fuses
Brake hose
Oil drain washer
Fuel pump and filter
Accelerator chuck
Valve cover o'rings
Accelerator cable
Brake cyl
Coil
Light bulb for alternator
Light bulbs
Plug for vacuum
Hose clamp
Cuter pins
Twine
Clutch cable
Mix bolts and nuts

Buggy Tools

Tire gauge
Flashlight
Timming light
Wheel lug wrench
Feeler Gauge
Test Light
Spark plug socket
Ratchet 1/2 dr
Short metric wrench set 10mm-24mm
Ratchet 1/4 dr
Metric 1/4 socket set
Westcotts
13mm wrench (extra)
10mm wrench (extra)
21mm wrench (extra)
Open wrench set
Pliers
Wire cutter
Needle nose plyers
Screw driver set
Visegrips
Hammer
Allen key sets metric
Allen key set imp

Emergency

Air compressor
Tow rope
Extra gas
Tire repair kit

Buggy Supplies

Brake oil
Electrical tape
Duct tape
Electrical terminals
Electrical wire
Wax cleaner
Glass cleaner
Cleaning rags
Engine oil
Extra gas
Glue
Threat locker
o-rings
Tiewraps
Light bulbs

People Supplies

Water
Snacks
Poket knife
Large towels
Alarm clock (set for 5:30am)
GPS
Spot tracker
Credit card
Passport
Nexus card

Last edited by vincent9993 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Hello everybody, wow today was another wonderful day who will stay imprinted in our memory forever. The day started with the sun, little walk up to Cow Bay, 3 minutes walking distance from the hotel and then, we received the call that we were waiting from Dave, Vincent’s friend. We went to his work place. The guard at the entrance asked us to sign in and gave us our passed. You ask what Dave’s job is. He is a pilot for the Coast Guard for the government of Canada. He was not on duty today but we were able to park the dune just beside the Helico and took tones of pictures on the ground and when it was pulling up…it was awesome. After, Dave showed us the hangar where another helico was (smaller) and everything else. We made an appointment to meet him at his house around 5:30pm for dinner.

To kill the time, we walked in town and in the afternoon we went to the Butze Rapides around 10 minutes from Prince Rupert Downtown. We walked into the forest for about 5 kilometers….it was relatively warm. We returned to the hotel to relax on the terrace that is on the waterfront….really cool because it was windy. We went to Dave’s house at around 5:30pm and we were welcome by Betty and Birdy, their two dogs. After Austen (Jen’s daughter) came to welcome us timidly. It was such a pleasant dinner because Austen asked me to show her few French words. To conclude our visit, Vincent gave the key of the Dune to Dave to have him do a ride with Jen and Austen…he was afraid to damage the dune…him who pilot expensive helicos. He really had fun and we were really happy.

To close our evening, we did a last tour on the terrace to take few more pictures. Tomorrow we need to wake up really early to go to the Ferry for 5:30am for day on the sea, destination Port Hardy.

The next recap might be only Wednesday night because we will arrive late in Port Hardy (almost midnight) and have to go back on the road around 5:30am the following morning.

Stay tune for more pictures…Ciao

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

I'm impressed with your assortment of tools and parts.
You do a great job of packing all of that and your personal gear as well.
We would expect to see some dirty socks hanging out of your storage box....or do you just throw the clothes away when they're soiled?
Ed
stubenj

Post by stubenj »

Great packing job. Did you have a chase car. How did you get everything in the car. every picture you were clean and the car was too.
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Ed Chenal wrote:I'm impressed with your assortment of tools and parts.
You do a great job of packing all of that and your personal gear as well.
We would expect to see some dirty socks hanging out of your storage box....or do you just throw the clothes away when they're soiled?
I assure you Ed, we have not thrown out any clothing short of one pair of socks who's elastic was shot.  France has a different outfit for the both of us for all of 19 days.  She runs a tight ship and I need to follow her system to the letter... lol. 

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

stubenj wrote:Great packing job. Did you have a chase car. How did you get everything in the car. every picture you were clean and the car was too.
Up here in Canada we have space engeneered gel coats that never gets dirty...  lol

No chase cars, no support crew and no private helicopters!  Just France and I in the Buggy.

I go through a lot of Mothers wax cleaner and chrome cleaners.  Tomorrow's cleaning my suffer a little in place of an oil change.  We'll see.

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Where are you guys?
Ed
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Here is a picture of them going into a toll plaza in NE Illinois this morning around 11:00am

They will be in Lansing Michigan tonight, Kingston Ontario tomorrow night and
Home on Wednesday.

This morning Vincent said it looks like a total of 7200+ miles.  They are
starting to look a bit on the tired side, ans are looking forward to getting home.
Last edited by DIESELDOOG on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

We're home!
Now some statistics:
  • Total distance: 11,991.7km (7,451.3 miles)
  • Total distance (including ferries): 12,569.5km (7,810.3 miles)
  • Number of provinces: 6 (Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and
    British Columbia)
  • Number of states : 12 (Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Alaska,
    Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Illinois and Indiana).
  • Number of hotels: 16
  • Lowest temperature: 8 Celsius (46 Fahrenheit)
  • Highest temperature: 38 Celsius (101 Fahrenheit)
  • Average temperature: 20 Celsius (68 Fahrenheit)
  • Number of oil changes: 2
  • Oil consumed: ½ qrt
  • Cost for gas (USD and CND at par): 1,544.30$
  • Average consumption: 10.6 L/100 (22.2 MPG)
  • Gas used: 1,272.24 Liters (336.09 Gallons US)
  • Quantity of beer consumed: Censored!
  • Number of pictures taken: 3,300
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Thanks for the pictures and the story.
That is a long way to go in a buggy.
I Salute the two of you but I would sleep better knowing that you had a full cage.

Best of luck.
Ed

Last edited by Ed-Chenal on Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed