Transforming the XL Burro into a four-seater

Bring your Burros, Sportsters, and other steel bodied buggies out of the corral.
Scott-Drolet

Transforming the XL Burro into a four-seater

Post by Scott-Drolet »

When I picked up the long wheelbase Burro from John Dodson a few months back, I really loved all of the thought he put into the design and construction.  The car was meant to be a long range car that could carry everything you need (fuel, water, supplies) for days on end. John envisioned having a large toolbox installed between the engine and the gas tank on top of the transmission to carry all of these items.  This is exactly what I'd like to do with the car . . .travel through Baja with the capability to carry everything along with me and not worry about constantly searching for gas.  But, I also want to take the buggy on short runs during events put on by the Manx Club and with friends.  The dilemma is that it would be nice to bring just one car with me and fit passengers in on those runs.  Enter David Barrett . . . I told David what I was thinking about doing and he offered to build a convertible arrangement that allows the seat to be installed and removed as needed. Not only that, but he did so using existing mounting points such as the shock towers and torsion bar spring plate cover holes.   David's design is made out of 1" tubing just like the Burro. It is ingenious, and it doesn't impact any of John's design, other than a minor change in the location of the oil cooler radiator and fan.  Next up, I'm going to see if David can design a drop in rack that will hold a large truck box in the rear area.  That way I can just change out the back based on what I'd like the car to do.  I also have to thank Manx Club Member Mark Sumner who spent a whole Saturday helping make all this happen. I tried to be helpful but these guys are masters at fabricating. About the only thing I did was act as a heat detection system:  David would do some welding then tell me to stay away from it until it had cooled. I would immediately forget, pick the dang thing up, and then scream a stream of profanities.  This became great sport (for them) as I must have done it ten or twelve times. 

I also had trouble shifting the car into reverse and from second to third gear. David fabricated a whole new linkage from the rear to the front using some stout steel tubing into a bearing-supported shifter box with a Berg shifter.  Wow!  What a difference. 

Thank you Mark and David for taking my Burro to the next level!

Here's a picture of the legend himself, Mr. John Dodson with the car when I picked it up:

David Barrett removing the current Oil Cooler mount . . . (this will be moved to the back of the new rear seat)

David and fellow Manx Club member Mark Sumner laying out the base of the seat. (You can see the rear shock mount tab in this pic)

David welding the top backrest bar that will hold the relocated oil cooler

Seeing how the seat will look (These are the cushions out of the Stainless Burro. The size is wrong, but it gives you and idea what it will look like)

The completed frame

Here's the frame installed with the plywood bases attached

It's now at Frank's Auto Upholstery in Glendale (I hope to heck that's not his personal car!).  The seat cushions willl be done today, then the frame is off for some bright orange powder coating.  Look for my new rear seat at Big Bear!

Last edited by Scott-Drolet on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
http://www.ManxClub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SeaToSeaSafari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.BurroBuggies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;