Burro, EMPI Sportster or ???

Bring your Burros, Sportsters, and other steel bodied buggies out of the corral.
ManxManiac

Burro, EMPI Sportster or ???

Post by ManxManiac »

What is the general thought on here about running a Burro, a EMPI Sportster or some other low/no side buggy??? Right now I know of 2 Burros (1 is a clone), 2 EMPI Sportsters - 1 is really nice & the other looks like crap but runs great & is very dependable, 2 Resorters - 1 is a clone, the other must be gold considering the guy wants 15G's for it & it doesn't have an engine or transaxle! The guy said someone told him it was worth 25G's, but he wanted to sell it quick! He's had it for sale for a year & will not take a penny less!!!

Burros & Sportsters are so cool, especially with the right paint scheme!!! I've ridden in & driven both!!! Easy in & out, just what Patricia & I need, however, we need to sell our Meyers Manx Xena first!!!
I've also come across several DuneRunner f/g buggies that have fairly low sides!!! I do not remember ever getting in one, so I'm not sure if the sides drop down enough!!!
Patricia & I were discussing it today & she asked if the MC members would still accept us though we might be in an all metal buggy??? I told her the important part is that it is a "buggy"!!!
So I guess we shall see, once Xena is sold & someone else is enjoying her!!! Then we'll spend some time checking all of the "possibles" out!!!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
CairoManx

Re: Burro, EMPI Sportster or ???

Post by CairoManx »

Michael, non-Meyers fiberglass buggies as well as metal bodied buggies from the Dune Buggy Golden Age have always been officially welcome at Manx Club events. There have been at least two full issues of the Manx Mania dedicated to the Burro.

I believe Baja Bugs and modern sand rails are both discouraged from participating on runs but Burros, Sportsters and other metal bodied veterans from the period like Harry Klumpp's Mountain Goat are admired and warmly welcomed.
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Oh well... it doesn't matter now... going in a different direction... hopefully reveal "new to us" buggy project soon!!! I know, I know... NO PROJECTS!!! Well... what can I say... we saw the light!!! LOL All I know is... "We're gonna have some fun!!!"
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
M1609C8S22
T-wire

Post by T-wire »

Hello Michael.....You mentioned that you knew of 2 "Resorters"....by that do you mean 4 seat Empi Sportsters? I live in Fresno and would like to talk to the gentleman with the true Resorter....My Email: timbakman@bakmanwater.com and my Cell: (559)269-4145 Thanks for the help, Tim
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Tim... I sent you an email!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
M1609C8S22
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

BTW... we still have Xena & we're going to keep her!!! However... she is now "Project 17X"... which means she is going to have 17 major things on her changed or modified!!! LOL Details coming soon!!!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
M1609C8S22
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

17X must be another one of those spectacular barn finds you keep running across. Can't wait to see it! (Don't keep us in suspense too long pleeeease... :wink: ).
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Hey Mike... re-read... we're "keeping Xena" & SHE is Project 17X!!! Oh ya... we're gonna have some fun!!! LOL
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
M1609C8S22
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

:o Oh boy! Get those glass skills sharpened up. Can't wait to see what you come up with. :mrgreen:
Ken

Post by Ken »

Now that I'll be down in the area, maybe I'll sneak over a few times to take notes and pick up tips so when I build mine I'll bring out those notes. :shifty: :oops:
langan

Post by langan »

Hi ManxMainiac
Do you know of any Burros or Sportsters for sale? Thanks
towddude

Post by towddude »

JJ,
I know of a Empi Sportster that is for sale. It is on a rolling chassis (full length pan) no motor but has current Calif title. I do not know the price but if your interested I'll have the owner get in touch with you. It is located in Gardnerville NV about 20 south of Carson City.