UPDATE: Black Manxter 5-Speed Conversion - Turnkey Manx

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Some time ago I decided I really wanted to build a Manxter. I kept steeling myself away from pulling the trigger because of a million different reasons. Things keep changing, however, and at some point it becomes too good to pass up on some of the cars that are available out there. I don't want to start a political rant, but the stinking (and sinking) US economy has driven prices so low on Craigslist, eBay and Samba that completed Manxters can sometimes pencil out to be cheaper than buying a kit and the components necessary to build one.  Such is the case on the one I just bought.

So, here's my first street-only buggy: a 2008 Manxter with 200 miles since it was built by Mendeola. It had languished for weeks and months on a car dealer website and eBay. I paid for it last week, and am trying to get up to San Francisco this weekend to pick it up. Special thanks to Manx Club member Maurice Liang who grasciously put up with a bunch of questions regarding the car. If you don't know Maurice, he not only owns a beautiful lime green Subu Dual Sport, but he is also a very talented publisher and photographer who happens to know the prior owner and history of the Manxter I bought. I had found a few pictures of the car online that Maurice had taken, some of which are displayed below (Thank you Maurice Liang for allowing them to be reproduced here).

Anyway, my new Manxter has a Mendeola transmission coupled to a 320HP 6-cylinder Suburu engine. The rear seats shown in some of the pictures are no longer in the car, but Kevin at Mendeola has given me a quote to build up two more of them to match the leather Corbeau seats. He's also going to make a bimini soft top like the red one on Diane's car (photo below). I just have to decide if I'm going with the tan color or black. This is one of two black gelcoat Manxters sold by Bruce and Winnie, a color that they strongly advise against buying. The heat generated by the sun on the black gelcoat can cause the body to delaminate. Bruce has suggested that I repaint it to avoid that from happening. That's something I'll probably do someday, but right now, I think the black looks understated and positively  stunning.  I'll post more pics after I pick it up. But here's the initial set of photos.

Photo credit to Maurice Liang

Photo credit to Maurice Liang

It comes with a Tim Bessell carbon fiber surfboard.

Here's the soft top Mendeola makes for the Manxter

Last edited by Scott-Drolet on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
http://www.ManxClub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SeaToSeaSafari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.BurroBuggies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Congrats Scott! That Manxter is stunning! The real question is, will you be using it for the cross country crossing this fall?!
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Ha! Thanks Vincent! This will be the plan "B" car. David Barrett is completing my '67 ecotech Manx within the next couple of months. I have a very strong emotional connection to that buggy, so it'll still be my first choice. But, one of the two will be making the trek.
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

My bet is that the Manxter will be in Nags Head, NC. in October 2013.
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

WOW!!!
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

That is a great looking Manxter Scott.  I think you are going to like driving it.  It looks fast just standing still.   
I like my fiberglass top on my Manxter.  With the way it lifts up it makes it easier to get in and out of,  I don't have to try and bend awkwardly to get in under the top.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Thanks you guys. Joseph, I know what you mean about the fiberglass top. I really like the looks of the fabric version, but I'm still on the fence as to which top to go with, especially since I can get the side curtain and door kit for the Manxter hardtop.  I may be leaning more toward the fiberglass top now.
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

GotManx

Post by GotManx »

That is SEXY!  I'd go with a black fiberglass hardtop, maybe even sand it down smooth and paint it gloss black to match the body.  
Last edited by GotManx on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Very nice looking street buggy.
Ed
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Scott,
With the Subaru you can put a good heater in it and seat heaters and have a comfortable ride in cooler weather. It what I have in mine and nice having a warm bum and back along warm feet.
Plus I like the longer wheel base of the Manxter, makes it easier on the body for longer drives.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

I'm speechless...... Absolutely gorgeous Manxter. I would like to be in your shoes when it come to selecting which buggy to take on a run. I'm thinking you might want to trade in that big red trailer for a car hauler..

Contrats,
Bob
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

How about I hop over to Maurice's place pick up your Manxter and drive it down to Buelton for you...... ?

I'll go tomorrow.

Bob
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Nice Manxter Scott.  I think you will find 2 things lacking in that car.  #1 will be the brakes.  Kevin used to build them with the CB Performance type, 11" non vented rotors with 2 piston calipers in the front & single piston calipers in the back.  Not stunning braking.  #2 is the VW suspension.  They came up with the A-arm suspension for a reason.  If you just "putt around"  (Kathleen driving) it will be OK, but do some "spirited drving" (me) and you will get in trouble quickly.  The Subi 6 has 20 more HP than we have and instant torque.  It you have it, you will want to use it.

On a secondary note, It has more ground clearance than Kathleen's car, so it probably could get on the beach at OBX OK.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Yesterday couldn't come soon enough . . . I was up at 4am to get to Emeryville by 9:30. The place that had the Manxter, Fantasy Juction, had some amazing cars lying about. It took about a half hour to get it loaded and I headed right back, hitting home at 4:30pm.   The Manxter is amazing, although I can barely drive it. Eric, the guy the car was built for, must be in the NBA! The seat is permanently mounted directly to the pan and as far back as it can go (it is against the rear shelf of the car!). He even took out the rear seats just for the purpose. With a pillow and a bunch of towels behind me, I am sitting at the very front edge of the seat.   But, I did manage to drive it around the neighborhood a few times. It is fast, I mean REALLY fast. "Oh S***!" fast. I read your comments about the brakes, Tom, and they are cross drilled, but I didn't look at the rear cylinders yet to see what's back there. You're right, of course, about the front end, I'd be really interested in seeing how yours turns out.  It wouldn't be that difficult to change it out.

I do have one question Tom, Joe, Bob, and any other Manxter owners. What about the tires? This is running Dunlop SP Sport tires 20" rears and 17" fronts, so really low profile: SR 40 and SR45, respectively. They are pumped up hard, so the car understandably rides rough. I'm assuming I can air them down somewhat, but the nature of the low profiles mean little flotation and it may simply not matter. Anyone else running low profile tires on their Manxter? How low can I go? Or should I just switch over to taller tires on smaller diameter rims and get some flotation going on?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here's some pics:

Off at 4:00am!

They had a lot of other cars there, not Manxters, but they were ok:)

ImageImage

There it is . . .

Spent today trying to fit it into the garage

Hey Tom, I forgot i had pics of it on a lift:

Scott
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

You still have a great looking Manxter Scott, but I have to add another thing it is lacking.  That is not a Mendeola transaxle.  It looks like a 1973 up single side cover VW transaxle that originally came with 3.88 gears.  It appears to have 930 or Type 2 CV joints and matching axles, but the weak point is the differential and internal gears.  When they install a Mendeola, you have to go coilover in the rear because the inboard torsion bar mounts have to be cut away, and the shift linkage is different at the transaxle.  I would refrain from any high powered standing starts and even take it easy rolling the power on at speed. I don't think you can ever build up a Type 1 transaxle to truley handle the power of that engine.

Yes you can air down the low profile tires for a better street ride, but they won't work well on the sand.  I still think it you be OK at MOTB with the clearance you have.  Even with the tires aired down, you are going to have a harsh ride with the front sway bar in the VW front suspension.  The Mendeola S2 suspension has similar sway bars, but the A-arms still ride nicer and steer better than the VW suspension with no sway bars.  We can talk more at Buellton.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)