UPDATE: Black Manxter 5-Speed Conversion - Turnkey Manx

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
dcamomanx

Post by dcamomanx »

I agree w Joseph. I have actually stopped and strapped the roof down while towing because it was dancing around so much with the side winds in the desert. It's scary to see how much flex and movement occurs. All I could think of was the roof ripping off the mounts in the front. With Joseph's help, I have copied his way of locking the top down and now it's solid. We mounted everything off the b roll bar tubing. That way it's a little harder to climb into the back seat area but I still have maximum head room back there.

Doran
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

Thanks Joseph, I'll have to watch the rear next time I'm on the interstate. Looks like you're doing the Coast 2 Coast, so I'll have to check our your solution at Manx on the Banx.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Adam,
 I posted pictures of my latch for the top in the section "Where did you get that" under Jon's topic.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

Looks like Scott took me up on the offer to fix his gearing issues Image

Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

I can't wait for it to come back!  Driving close to 2800 miles at 3600 RPM almost required me to have my dental work redone. I have to say though, I love the Subaru overall, I just need another gear!
Here's a link to all Brad has accomplished so far. It should be done in another week or so . . .
http://meyersmanx.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=114&sid=f9ac7fac4033b5a939c0b5a6ca519242
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
http://www.ManxClub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SeaToSeaSafari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.BurroBuggies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Brad - nice work.  I hope you are putting the rear surface of the new Subi transaxle bellhousing in the same place as the VW with the adaptor was.  When we switched from VW to Mendeola, the engine moved forward @ 1" and caused a lot of extra fabrication to move things that didn't clear the second time around.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
dcamomanx

Post by dcamomanx »

Awesome swap,

Do you have any pics of the underside of the tank? How is it mounted?

Thanks Doran
Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

Tom Kathleen wrote:Brad - nice work.  I hope you are putting the rear surface of the new Subi transaxle bellhousing in the same place as the VW with the adaptor was.  When we switched from VW to Mendeola, the engine moved forward @ 1" and caused a lot of extra fabrication to move things that didn't clear the second time around.  Tom
Nope it is going to be different, I am just doing the fabrication thing Image

Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

dcamomanx wrote:Awesome swap,

Do you have any pics of the underside of the tank? How is it mounted?

Thanks Doran
Not really .. here is a cut and paste from another thread with more pictures. I will get some of it from underneath and how I mount it in the next few days

I like to design by building and above you will see my mock up. Unlike most I prefer to work with alloy not cardboard but that has more to do with what I have in the shop.
1st up I went much higher but had some issues when I put the filler and fuel pump in   :roll:
When I had finished Wes fixed my mess and made a pretty 3D model so he could unfold it and make cut files for me.
Since then it has been refined further and checked in all Manx Models including my Manxter 2+2 with A-Arm and underslung pedals.