Radiator setup on our Subaru powered Manxter

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
vincent9993

Radiator setup on our Subaru powered Manxter

Post by vincent9993 »

Some have asked us what our radiator setup is on on our Manxter 2+2 S.S.

We run a Subaru WRX 2015 FA20T Motor but I'm pretty sure this setup would work for most Subaru motors. We opted to mount the radiators in the side pods and keep the wing for the Intercooler... Some may opt to mount them in the sidepods if they are not using the wing.

We looked at getting custom made radiators but it proved to be very expensive. The race shop wanted over $900/ea + shipping with a 6 week lead time. We started to look for alternatives.

We finally found a Polaris Sportsman 700/800 EFI 2005-2007 from eBay available for under $100/ea. The only shortcoming was the inlet/outlet are only 1" (not 1-1/2") so I had to step down the hose at the radiator. I opted to run the radiators in series. With a 1-1/2" hose that run across the underside of the body.

I created a small angled aluminum shelf bolted to an angle iron on the 1" body lift. This gave enough room to mount 12" fans. Speaking of fans, we went with a set of 12 inch Universal 12V Electric Radiator Cooling Slim Fans Push Pull Mount from eBay for about $30.

We wired them using the stock Subaru computer. The wiring is using 3 relays that allow the fans to run either in series or parallel (low speed/fast speed). They are setup to pull from the inside. I wanted to experiment with airflow before cutting the back of sidepods and turns out it was not required. The fans rarely go on the highspeed mode.

Both radiators had an overflow 1/4" outlet that was capped off. We used an in-line Aluminum Radiator Hose Filler Neck /Cap and ran the overflow tube to an overflow tank in the hole in the wing. The tank was also sourced from eBay and was shortened to fit the wing.

This configuration allows the motor to run perfectly at normal temperature even on long inclines in 100F+ ambient air temps. We did not add any bleeding on the system but having the overflow mounted at the highest point allows for the system to purge/bleed itself after a couple of drive.

I hope this helps.
Here are the eBay links as of writing this post:
Aluminum Radiator FOR Polaris Sportsman 700/800 EFI 2005-2008 2006 07
Set 2 12 inch Universal 12V Electric Radiator Cooling Slim Fans Push Pull Mount
In Line Aluminum Radiator Hose Filler Neck /Cap