Oil cooler in Manxter vented side pod

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
andygere

Oil cooler in Manxter vented side pod

Post by andygere »

I've recently commissioned a 2165 motor build for my street drive Manxter, and my motor builder is strongly recommending an auxiliary oil cooler with an electric fan. My Manxter has the vented side pods, and it seems like that could provide a good opportunity for a protected installation of the oil cooler, with good air flow that could be retrofit with the body on the chassis.

Has anybody done this on their Manxter, and if so, do you have photos, parts details and any other relevant data?
Tom-Kathleen

Re: Oil cooler in Manxter vented side pod

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

We have room for a 14 X 16 X 1 1/2" radiator with fan in Kathtleen's Manxter with vented sidepods, so there should be plenty of room for a oil cooler. I have pictures if you need them, but have not figured out how to post them here since the site changover. Tom
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Tom-Kathleen wrote: I have pictures if you need them, but have not figured out how to post them here since the site changover. Tom
Tom, please have a look at this thread. I've laid out the steps to create a gallery and to add pictures. Hope it helps.

http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3419

Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
andygere

Post by andygere »

I'd love to see the pictures. You can also email them to me and I'd be happy to post them. PM me for my e-mail address.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

andygere - I tried to send you a PM but it didn't work. Send me a PM with your email and I will send you the pictures. If you can do it, it would be OK to post the pictures here. Tom
andygere

Post by andygere »

It’s been a while, but I did fabricate the oil cooler mounts and ran the hoses and wiring. Here’s what it looks like:

I’m using a Mocal thermostatic plate between my oil filter and bracket, and an electrical thermostat to trigger a relay to turn the fan on at 180 degrees of oil temp exiting the cooler. It’s a tight fit but it turned out slick. I’ll take a photo of it with the sidepod when i get it back on.