H4 upgrade for stock Manxter headlight buckets

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
andygere

H4 upgrade for stock Manxter headlight buckets

Post by andygere »

I just installed a set of original Manxter headlight buckets in my Manxter, which have the stock halogen sealed beam lights in them. They don't seem terribly bright, and I was wondering if anyone has upgraded them to aftermarket H4 units. If so, was it a worthwhile upgrade? It made a huge difference in my previous buggy with 7" headlight buckets.

I was considering something like these. http://www.rallylights.com/h5006-hella- ... p-kit.html

Also, do these fit as exact replacement in the Manxter headlight buckets, or do they need modification to work?
Tom-Kathleen

Re: H4 upgrade for stock Manxter headlight buckets

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

We had them in Kathleen's car. It was a almost direct replacement. The car had to be registered with sealed beams, but were replaced shortly after with H4. I would suggest a relay kit to provide full power and not burn out the VW switches. http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/30815 One other thing - the connections are different for the H4 bulbs. Tom
andygere

Post by andygere »

Tom, that's good to know about the relays. My high beam switch is on a relay, but I'm assuming this kit is just for the power directly to the lights? I noticed that the sealed beams get brighter with engine revs, which makes me wonder if the current wiring is completely inadequate for even those lights. The OE used a Painless wiring harness and kit when he built the buggy, and the wiring is generally pretty good.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

The relay kit I referenced supplies full power to the lights and works off of the normal switch to change from low to high beams. Also, there are different wattage H$ bulbs if you need brighter lights. Tom