Our new Manxter

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
1MINT86

Our new Manxter

Post by 1MINT86 »

Jordan,

I'm sorry to say that I haven't made too much progress since I posted the last pictures. I have been collecting all the necessary bits and pieces
necessary to make it a roller, still need front brakes and tie rods and about 40 hours of fabrication.
My goal is to have it on wheel before the end of the year.
Greg & Jeanne Lewin
Member 2805
Tow'd 1679
Dual Sport DS-025
Manx-Australia

Our new Manxter

Post by Manx-Australia »

1MINT86 wrote:Jordan,

I'm sorry to say that I haven't made too much progress since I posted the last pictures. I have been collecting all the necessary bits and pieces
necessary to make it a roller, still need front brakes and tie rods and about 40 hours of fabrication.
My goal is to have it on wheel before the end of the year.
How is your goal looking ?

jsturtlebuggy

Re: Our new Manxter

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Yea I know it's been a while since the last update but the Dual sport is finally on wheels, as they say Rome wasn't built in a day.

Since we didn't win the Kickout I guess I need to pick up the pace.
1MINT86

Post by 1MINT86 »

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I thought I'd post an update.
After trying to install the aftermarket tail lights that came with the kit I gave up and bought some OEM lights off Samba. I know why you can't pay to have this stuff done, I must have 20 hours installing and wiring the tail lights.

I got all of the shocks mounted up to make sure everything is going to fit.

There's not much room to spare but I think everything going to fit.

jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Looking really good Greg. Glad to see the progress on the build. Yes the aftermarket tail lights were not easy to install.
The body is so thick in the area where bolts go through I had to countersink the holes from the backside to get the nuts on the bolts.
Where and how are you mounting the radiator?
Right now I have the body off mine to spray something like LizardSkin for sound deadening to help calm some of the road noise. Also to finish welding in the mount for the radiator on mine which I could not get to with the body on.
1MINT86

Post by 1MINT86 »

While my progress is not as ambitious a Brad's I'm still planning to have the Dual Sport running by the end of summer.
Been working on the shifter and Radiator mounts.

1585 1586

Instead of using a $1300 radiator for fit check I made a mock up out of some wood, foam board and a piece of PVC.

Once in place you need to cut the fiberglass to clear if you're going to hinge the wing.

1589 1587
1MINT86

Post by 1MINT86 »

Progress has been slow but still moving forward, that "Food and Shelter" thing keeps getting in the way.
I had the gas tank made by Boyd's Welding in Florida, I can't speak highly enough about these guys, after sending him some drawings and a conversation on the phone the tank showed up in about 3 weeks at a reasonable price and much to my surprise it was exactly what I had ordered (or what I thought I had ordered)

Also got the shifter, steering brake, e-brake, steering and pedals all mounted, for a big car you sure run out of room quickly.

Greg & Jeanne
TSFR

Post by TSFR »

Any progress is good progress! :mrgreen:
What pedal assembly did you go with? I'm liking the hanging pedal idea the more I think about it. Seems like bleeding would be easier all around. My only question is on the gas pedal, is it cable driven and if so what did you do? I'm guessing there is a custom mount involved?
Thanks!
Jeff
Thanks,
Jeff TSFR
1MINT86

Post by 1MINT86 »

Hi Jeff,

I'm running the hanging pedal option offered with the dual sport kit. The gas pedal is from Jamar and will mount to the aluminum sub-floor. I'll use a standard jacketed aftermarket cable. Since your chassis is set up for stock VW pedals you could use the stock pedal set up just remove the brake and clutch pedals. The dash tray supplied with the kit is also different when set up for hanging pedals, you also might have clearance issues with the steering shaft clearing the pedals since all of the cars I've seen with hanging pedals have used center mounted Rack & Pinion steering.

By the way your cars looking good, love the color.

Greg
TSFR

Post by TSFR »

1MINT86 wrote:Hi Jeff,

I'm running the hanging pedal option offered with the dual sport kit. The gas pedal is from Jamar and will mount to the aluminum sub-floor. I'll use a standard jacketed aftermarket cable. Since your chassis is set up for stock VW pedals you could use the stock pedal set up just remove the brake and clutch pedals. The dash tray supplied with the kit is also different when set up for hanging pedals, you also might have clearance issues with the steering shaft clearing the pedals since all of the cars I've seen with hanging pedals have used center mounted Rack & Pinion steering.

By the way your cars looking good, love the color.

Greg

:wave: Hi Greg,
I've PM'd Brad asking him about the points you brought up as I didn't even think about having to switch the steering which would then lead into switching my fuel cell....and I'm not willing to do that, at least without a LOT of kicking and screaming. At the end of the day, I may just give up on the hanging pedal idea and go with the floor mounted ones. Obviously, they work too and maybe this is where I should not over complicate things just because. :roll:

Oh well, I appreciate the kind words on my 2+2. Amazingly enough some progress is being made and parts are still trickling in. I'm waiting on ball joints today and am about to figure out how to install them.....correctly LOL. I only say that because I have an idea how they should go in and how the control arms look like they should go but, this is one of those things I'd rather not have to repaint and get right the first time.

Jeff
Thanks,
Jeff TSFR
1MINT86

Post by 1MINT86 »

We'll progress has been slow but I must be getting close because I running out of things I need to buy. I just ordered the seat belts from PRP and the Transmission is out getting put together.

I'm hoping to get the motor down to Outfront Motorsports in the next week or two and the chassis out to paint by Christmas.
The only big project left now is wiring.

Greg
Artie8804

Post by Artie8804 »

Where did you source the grommet where the steering shaft goes through?
1MINT86

Post by 1MINT86 »

Hi Artie,

I bought it from Pegasus Racing Supplies http://www.pegasusautoracing.com. There called "Seal-it firewall gromments,
they come in different sizes the 3/4 ID part number is 4336-001-750.

Merry Christmas
Greg
langan

Post by langan »

Very nice car!!!!
Artie8804

Post by Artie8804 »

Awesome. Thank you. I guess it pays to be behind others when it come to project builds ;)