Headlight Mounting on a Tow'd?

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
Vealmonkey

Headlight Mounting on a Tow'd?

Post by Vealmonkey »

Does anybody have any close up pictures on how the headlights on a Tow'd are mounted? Maybe some pictures with how people have monted their turn signals also. I would like to try and make my Tow'd street legal and need some direction in how to go about this. Were there special mounts or tabs that were inclluded in the original Tow'dster kits? Any help is appreciated.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Pat, I can't address the light mounting question but I noticed that you were fairly local. Have you looked into the legalities of getting your Tow'd street legal yet? The only reason I ask is that in PA it would be extremely hard to get that body style legal up here. It may not be an issue down there but in Pa you would need the full fenders, engine cover, etc. and even then you would have to jump through hoops. I would love to have a tow'd but have determined that to get it fully legal it could be a potetial nightmare. Not trying to take the wind out of your sails, but I would look at the local DMV laws and see if there is anyone near you that has been through the DMV process. Again, might not even be an issue but should be looked into.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="Vealmonkey"]Does anybody have any close up pictures on how the headlights on a Tow'd are mounted? .[/QUOTE] Look at Bobmanx's gallery. The headlight mounts came with the towd kit and were attached to the shock towers. The big washers on the top and bottom of the metal strap weren't original but look like a good idea. Have you seen this webpage? http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/registry/towd Image
Vealmonkey

Post by Vealmonkey »

Cairomanx, Thanks for the great tip on the pictures. The help is appreciated. There aren't any Tow'ds in the Maryland area to compare to. I have a good idea on what I'll be doing for Headlight and turnsignal mounts now. This is why I wanted to join this site, nice helpful people with all the right knowledge.
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

I've seen pictures of Tow'ds with the lights attached to brackets that are bolted to the top of the shock absorber towers using the shocker nuts. A normal 5 inch sealed beam headlight, a couple of small parking lights attached to the tower and a pair of motorcycle indicators would look very good. I would love to have a Tow'd here in Australia, but to get it registered would be virtually impossible. They are here, but they were raced off road and only two have been registered in Queensland or New South Wales, before the new rules came into play. I have a friend who has found one and will bring it to Western Australia and will try to get it registered. I hope he succeeds.
Vealmonkey

Post by Vealmonkey »

I can't imagine what it would cost to ship a car to Australia. Would the Tow'd have to be right hand drive? I think a right hand drive Tow'd would be pretty wild. Good luck with the Tow'd and please post pictures of the Tow'ds if you see them.
Old-Towd

Post by Old-Towd »

Hi this is what I did.
Jay - We Sacrifice Quality So You Can Save
1969 Sand Rover T pickup
1962 Baja / 1986 CT110 Honda Trailbike
1973 Thing / Yorba Linda,Ca.
MC 2693, RBC, DSB, SoCalBajas, hondatrailcts, BurroBuggies
Vealmonkey

Post by Vealmonkey »

oldmanx, That's a clean looking set up, thanks for the picture.
Old-Towd

Post by Old-Towd »

Hey Vealmonkey glad to help but I'm not Old Manx He's is better looking than me but I'm funnier. Here's rear of my Tow'd still working on it. Old Tow'd
1969 Sand Rover T pickup
Vealmonkey

Post by Vealmonkey »

Oldtow'd, I'm really sorry about that. Still learning peoples names. I've always been bad with names and phone numbers. I was thinking about going with a baja rear bumper cage setup so I will have places to mount my tag bracket and running lights and such. I read that the manx store no longer carries the front bumpers for the Tow'd, do you know if you can still get the front bumpers made? I really need to find some places to get some of the specialty parts for my Tow'd.
CoKev

Post by CoKev »

A couple of guys are discussing doing a limited run on towd bumpers and steering brake handles. I will let them know another bumper person is out there. It will have to ship from No. Ca.
Old-Towd

Post by Old-Towd »

The only other place that sold look alike ( Copy ) Tow'd parts was - Fiber Jet Industries [font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif][size=-1]221 West Ivy Roseville, California 95678 U.S.A. (916) 783-3198 http://www.kitcar.com/fiberjet/
1969 Sand Rover T pickup
Vealmonkey

Post by Vealmonkey »

CoKev, Do you know when the guys were talking about having the bumpers made? I also didn't know anything about steering brake handles. I guess I'm way behind on the Tow'd learning curve. I hope you don't mind bringing an East-Coaster up to speed on everything Tow'd. Also, has anybody ever managed to buy any parts from fiberjet? I was wondering how they fit. I would rather get parts from the manx store or board members on here though.
TMc2548

Post by TMc2548 »

I've dealt with Fiber Jet before. They are actually only a couple of miles away from where I live in Roseville. Not too long ago I purchased my buggy body from them. They have an original Manx mold and I think their Tow'd mold is original too. They aquired them when Bruce sold his stuff when he first closed up the Meyers Manx shop. Give them a call. They're good people.