Rear Axle Woes

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
Jon

Rear Axle Woes

Post by Jon »

Must be a year and a half ago I broke down the rear end. Ordered and put in a new tranny into the Berrien frame, POR coated the axle tubes and got everythiing to reinstall. Now why can't I get the original bearings over the original axle splines to insert into the original rear axle bearing keepers. Beats me..... I hope there are cooler heads out there that know that "one" secret to reinstalling bearings. Did I say Swing axle? THANKS
fubar

Post by fubar »

sounds like you have a classic case of too much paint. Sometimes even the thickness of zinc plate with retard assembly. Powdercoat will for sure. Sometimes a little burr will do it too. Temperture could be a factor too. I will sometimes put a hub in the oven and a bearing race in the freezer to get them to drop in. (when my wife is not looking)
Jon

Post by Jon »

I've got no paint on any of the surfaces!!! But I like the idea of heat vs. cold.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

You do realize that they are somewhat of a press fit. They are not meant to just slip on the axle. Usally will go on part way pass the threads and on splines. What I use is a piece of 1 1/2 tubing about a 1ft long and a brass hammer to seat them on the axle. Make sure inner spacer is there and installed with with the tapered part inward, flat surface out before installing bearing. After getting backing plate and seal retainer axle will be sticking further in than what looks like it suppose to be. When drum is installed and axle nut tighten axle will pull out to proper position. VW has all kinds of special tools for doing it the factory way, but I could never afford them so the tubing or pipe what ever you can find that slips over the axle and will set on inner race of bearing will work.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
fubar

Post by fubar »

sorry , I confused swing axle with stub axle. I did not know people still used swing axles.....................kidding.. A c02 extinguisher will get things cool quickly too if you are in a hurry. It could micrometer good and still not fit together without some tonnage.
Jon

sloppy axles

Post by Jon »

Am I nuts or what? Next problem...... Now I find that the drivers side axle shaft has about a inch of end play.. Is this normal? I do not have the bearings in yet as the sloppyness bothers me some.. Any help would surely be appreciated....